Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I got a 2012 Yamaha R1 was running great turned it off an…

Customer Question
I got a 2012...

I got a 2012 Yamaha R1 was running great turned it off an now when i try to start it turns over but wont start an the check engine light starts flashing

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Blink till i release starter button

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '12 motorcycle?

Raven

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes an nothing so far just figured id ask forms first before i start

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I can spray starter fluid in intake an it will start for a second so i know its getting fire just not fuel

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Motorcycle
12/19/2017
Motorcycle Mechanic: Louie, Technician replied 7 months ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your question regarding your "...2012 Yamaha R1..." I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

Initially, let's try check and review the basics; proposed preliminary try (if have not been done) is to determine if the fuel pump would prime at first turn on of ignition switch. If not, then a potential fuel pump/relay issue. If yes, then delivery/injector concern.

Where is the fuel relay at ?
The last week a few time well riding some times hard it would fall completely on its face like it lost all fuel pressure

The fuel pump relay would be under the seat left side.

Depending on the version, there may even be a lean angle sensor in the same location that may be causing the fuel pump relay to intermittently power the fuel pump.

...or even completely stop powering the fuel pump.

Ok So replaced fuel pump but before i did it started shut it off wouldn't start again so replaced it an new fuel pump does the same thing wont cycle any fuel what could it be ?
relay is clicking an when held you can fell it every time

"...relay is clicking..."; confirm that indeed the fuel pump is running/priming at initial turn-on of the ignition switch.

• IF yes, THEN potential injectors/triggers issue;
  • IF no, THEN and as earlier posted, check the lean angle sensor;
  • and all attendant wiring, connections including common tie points/joints.

More particularly, let's try check and review the basics. Proposed tests (if have not been done):

• • presence and consistency of BAT+12V on the red wire from the starter relay to the fuel pump relay;
  • • if yes on BAT+12V, then check +12V on the red/blue wire from the fuel pump relay to the fuel pump;
  • • if none, check for RUN+12V on the fuel pump's red/black wire from the OFF/RUN kill switch;
  • • ensure fuel pump's black wire is tied to a good common ground.

Even if just for test purposes, hardwire a secondary ground line from the battery's - terminal to the frame, to the engine and to the harness' black ground wires as well as their joints/common tie points particularly that of the fuel pump's.