Motorcycle

Motorcycle Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Motorcycle

I have changed the stator and the rectifier and the battery

still dies. JA: Have you changed...
I have changed the stator and the rectifier and the battery still dies.
JA: Have you changed a battery before?
Customer: I will today when I get home
JA: What is the model/year of your motorcycle?
Customer: 2004
JA: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes just the stator a rectifier
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: should I be getting at least 13 volts even if the battery is bad
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/14/2017
Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic

what is the make and model of your bike?

tell me everything you can.

Steve

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is a 2004 Suzuki dl1000 K4
I bought it in October. After a few days of riding the battery died I check the battery voltage and charge it it starting at like 13 I check the voltage across battery while the vehicle was running and I got like 12.4
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I decided to take it apart and when I did the wires from the stator he fell apart in my hand I'm surprised the vehicle is running at all so I change both stator and regulator same thing happen so the next time I will try is the battery which I got today and I put it into this afternoon hopefully when I run it across the battery I hope I get at least 13 volts I'll be happy if not I have no idea what else to do regulator and stator has been replaced and today the battery replaced

the battery voltage should be around 14 vdc when the engine is running on fast idle.

this will only be true if the battery "known good" and fully charged prior to use.

when replacing a battery, I recommend Interstate.

let me know if you need more help.

Steve

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am going out right now
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The new battery reads 13.2
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I started the with the old battery it was at 12.78 turned the key headlights came on and it dropped to 11.76. started the bike voltage dropped again to 10.90 at fast idle it got no higher than 12.00Put new battery in at 13.2 turned the key dropped to 12.78 started the bike voltage was at 12 at fast idle I no more than 12.55 steady. Not a happy camper

either your new stator or regulator is bad or not properly grounded. (assuming you purchased an Interstate battery. anything else is usually chinese made and of questionable quality)

(read entire answer before doing anything. you may find your problem before you do anything)

the easiest way to tell is to disconnect the regulator from the stator and (engine off) measure the resistance of each stator connector pin to ground. red probe on a stator pin, black probe on an engine case bolt. set the ohm meter to the highest range. IF the resistance of any pin to ground reads OTHER than OL (open circuit, infinity), the stator is grounded and needs to be replaced. IF that's ok, measue the resistance between all the pins with the ohm meter set to the lowest range. it shouold be a very low resistance. something between 0.1 ohm and 1 ohm. if it is significantly higher, the stator windings are open and the stator will have to be replaced.

IF the stator is good, just replace the regulator. it's the only thing left. since I have personally installed a brand new regulator that was bad right out of the box, I can assure you it happens.

if you install a new regulator, ensure it is grounded well. I recommend "star washers" under everthing bolted to the frame. star washers will bite through paint and/or powder coat and provide a better ground. if the regulator case bolts directly to the frame, place a star washer between the regulator and frame at the bolt holes. if it has a ground wire, ensure the ground wire has star washers at each termination. ensure the output wire is run all the way to the termination. cut zip ties and remove the old wire......this will also help you locate the termination. resist the urge to cut and splice the power wire of the new regulator to the power wire of the old regulator. sometimes, that old power wire is the whole problem. take the time to install it correctly. zip ties are cheap.

then check the battery voltage with the engine at fast idle. it should be around 14 vdc.

let me know if you need more help.

Steve

Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well I ran those test and the results were disappointing. It will be some time before I get a new part. What would be the difference if I go with a dealer for $300 as to buying and aftermrket for $100

I prefer OEM parts. I use them when I can.

the difference in OEM and aftermarket varies. sometimes, there is no difference. sometimes they are identical except for the quality of the components used. a manufacturer can afford to source better qulaity components because they get a deal when them order 100,000. people building regulators are starting to buy a lot of crap components from China. a LOT of battery's sold today are crap Chinese battery's, but they sell them for the same price as a prmium battery. it's why I only use Interstate battery's. they use Yuasa, made in USA, battery's.

let me know if you need more help.

Steve

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I got you, then you would suggest I buy an OEM stator

I would.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I guess you make a valid point. Is there any way to check the stator before you install it.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I ran what I thought was a stator test with ohm and got .4 every check is that to much.

there is no reliable stator bench test.

thet typically fail under load and more often than not, show good on the bench anyway.

this is the risk you assume when working on your own bike.

if you take it to the shop, you will get it back fixed, regardless how many regulators they have to install to find a good one....you only pay for one, buy you pay for their labor as well.

Steve

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I get that but I am on a budget. and around here they want 75 and hour plus parts. I could be looking at 600 or 700 bucks, for a bike I only got to ride for a week.
As long as the company keeps sending me replacements that's ok by me since it going in to winter and I cannot ride anyway.
Thanks.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Steve I just used some of those washers us suggested and used them on the rectorfer and this is what I got. At idle I got 12.13 it rose as I got to 5000 rpms to a steady 13.64 for a full minute do you think I am safe for now

that is marginal, but acceptable.

Steve

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am going to scrap some paint off the front and back of the regulator tomorrow. What should be a good idea voltage for a bike of this age. My issue so far is that riding to work I barley get 3000 RPM is this issue sometimes with bikes ?

a 12v battery needs 14 v at about 2000 rpm from the charging system.

13.6 v at 2000 rpm is the minimum.

Steve

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks Iwill look for that tomorrow

let me know if you need more help.

Steve

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Steve if you get some back fire from the exhaust is that normal for this bike I know Cruisers get some backfire. Yes I have new plugs in the bike the ones I took out we're black from soot I think they had about 27,000 miles on them.

a backfire from the exhaust indicates a roblem with the ignition.

incorrect system voltage can cause the ignition to malfunction.

Steve

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When you say malfunction and incorrect voltage are we still refer to our I assume that we still referring to stay the voltage and all that stuff so if my stator is not sending out the correct voltage that the bike needs I'll get backfire now is that safe
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You may have something there. I only get the popping at around 1100 RPM's and they are slight at 2000 to 3000 it smooths out. Other forums said the
V strom is known that.I scrapped some paint off and tighten down the mounting bolts and must to my surprise my reading changed at normal idle I get 12.78 at 2000 I get 14 then It rises to 14.64 at 5000 I think I can live with this untill riding time then later I will take it to a shop and have them check everything

those voltages are good.

that should resolve the backfire as well.

most motorcycle electrical problems are the result of poor grounds.

ride safe.

Steve

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for your help. I can't wait for a decent day so I can ride around the neighborhood abit. yahoo
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me ask you something If I were to add some extra lights on the back since it looks so sparse back there should I get some sort of fuse box and a relay to do it or just splice into the rear lights?

I would not add any more load to your electrical system. but I would suggest chaning any incandescent bulbs you have in the rear to LED's. replacements are available for most everything and they are much brighter and draw less current. a win win.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I LIKE HOW YOU THINK

Glad I could help.

let me know if you need more help.

Steve

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Steve I was wondering, will the basket of magnets go bad on a motorcycle?

it does happen, but it is not a common failure.

it's more likely when foreign material gets between the magnets and stator which knocks the magnets loose.

let me know if you need more help.

Steve

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks

glad I could help.

let me know if you need more help.

Steve

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have one last question about charging system car alternator put out a certain amount of amps do stators put out amps to is that measurable

- the magnets in the rotor generate AC current flow in the stator.

- the AC current flow from the stator is rectified then regulated by the rectifier/regulator WHEN it's output is connected to your battery.

- the vehicle runs off the battery. the charging system merely provides current flow to maintain the battery at a proper charge.

we measure the voltage at the battery to determine if the system is working. vehicle manufacturers no longer use AMP meters. you could measure it with a clamp-on ammeter, but direct current measurement is not possible with most common multi-meters because it exceeds the measureable range. most often, attempts to measure current result is a blown $25 fuse.

Steve

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had no idea. A car is in theory is the opposite

no, it's not. they are the same.

Steve

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Steve I have been checking my bike everyday the voltage and all that stuff seems to be holding thanks for your help you're a great cuz I know nothing at all about a motorcycle I just bought this thing and September I appreciate you now I have to figure out how to keep you as my favorite cuz I accidentally erased you

Glad I could help.

let me know if you have other questions.

Steve

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How can I get you back on as a favorite

I don't know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I'll try not to erase you from the phone I know I will need you when riding season comes
Thanks again for your help you saved me hundred of dollars

Glad I could help.

Steve

if you don't need more help, Please ACCEPT my answer.

Steve

Steve
Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic