Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have wired an LED light bar directly to my ATV battery…

I have wired an LED...
I have wired an LED light bar directly to my ATV battery through a DC switch I installed near the dash area. When reconnecting the battery cables the light came on because the switch was apparently in the "ON" position but the black wire coming from the light bar fixture had not been connected to anything yet. The only connections are: Red wire from LED fixture to switch, positive terminal of battery to switch, and negative terminal of battery to switch. The black wire from the LED fixture is just hanging now and I thought it would require a connection in order for the light to complete the circuit, however the light is working fine without it connected and the switch functions as expected. Is this normal? Should I just tuck it away and use this setup or asking for issues later on?
12/7/2017
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.
Initially and based on the above description, it would appear that the body/mounting of the "...LED light bar..." is also tied to the black wire hence forming a common ground system. If the said body/mount is also directly bolted to the frame.metal body, then the circuit is complete = light would come on.

This is an independent site and members of this online community provide information, repair tips, technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.

Louie, Technician
You are correct, I unbolted the light and no power. Also, I did not use a relay but I did install a 20amp inline fuse near the battery connection on the positive cable. The light draws 10 amps and the switch is rated for 10 amps. What do you think of this?

Should work since the switch is rated for 10Amps + the fuse added protection.

You are correct. I unbolted the light and no power. So I'll just tuck the wire away and call it done. One other thing, I didn't use a relay but I do have a 20amp inline fuse I installed on the positive wire near the battery. The light draws 10 amps and the switch is rated for only 10 amps. What do you think?

The common approach is to "sandwich" the black wire between the body/mount of the light and the vehicle's frame/metal body.

Perfect. Thanks for your help