Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a 2002 ATV Honda Foreman Rubicon I have changed the…

Customer Question
I have a 2002...

I have a 2002 ATV Honda Foreman Rubicon I have changed the oil, filter, strainer and added 5 qts of oil now it will not shift. help

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your last oil change?

2nd oil change

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '02 Honda?

Trx 500 es foreman rubicon

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your ES yourself? What have you tried so far?

Don't know what to do

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Motorcycle
12/5/2017
Motorcycle Mechanic: Eric, Technician replied 9 months ago
Eric, Technician

Typically when there is an issue where this atv doesnt shift, it will make the gear indicator on the display flash --. Does your do this? It should show up where it normally shows N for neutral, or D for drive.

it shows up flashing

Does it flash in and kind of series, for instance, 5 short flashes, then pauses then repeats? or is it just a constant flashing?

Constant flash

Ok, the -- flashing indicates the control module has identified a problem to not allow it to work properly. So we will want to know exactly what that is. There is a procedure you can do to find out. What we are looking for is a code. The code comes to us in short flashes, so 5 short flashes would mean code 5. To get the display to do this, do the following procedure.

Key off

hold down on both the up and down shift buttons on the left handlebar switch.

turn the key on, then release those buttons, then press back down on them at the same time and hold.

hold till you see the gear indicator begin to flash.

this may take several attempts to be done correctly, but once done, please record the number of flashes and i can help assist from there. The code will appear to flash twice then a long pause, then repeat itself again.

okay I will get back with you in a day or two. Thanks

ok great, just let me know your finding and i can help diagnose from there.

thank you.