Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

2005 kawasaki vulcan 1600 classic won't start when it's cold…

Customer Question
2005 kawasaki vulcan 1600 classic...
2005 kawasaki vulcan 1600 classic won't start when it's cold outside.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Motorcycle
12/5/2017
Motorcycle Mechanic: Chase Capicotti,
 replied 8 months ago
Chase Capicotti
Hi there, have you tried anything so far to diagnose it? Doe the bike have a choke or enrichment lever?
Its fuel injected so no choke or enrichment lever. I can smell fuel so I think it may be getting too much fuel.
Motorcycle Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 8 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

another expert here

I'd start by checking for incorrect fuelling due to a faulty water temp sensor. If this is the problem then the ECU not be controlling the the fuelling as the engine warms - so unplug the sensor and clean the contacts on both sides with some switch / electrical cleaner (not WD40) and inspect the wiring for any signs of damage to the insulation especially where it runs over other components and through the bulkhead- if this doesn't help consider replacing the sensor as they're not expensive

I'd also check over the state of the ignition system,

replace the spark plugs if any of them fail this checklist:

https://www.ngksparkplugs.com/about-ngk/faqs/spark-plug-faqs/how-do-i-read-a-spark-plug

You can also try spraying some water on the coil pack with the engine running. It is possible the coil is faulty and causing the misfire. If you see sparks arcing with the water, then replace the coil.

I'd check the condition of the injector plugs / connections as this could be a lean misfire if an injector isn't firing properly - the best way to check this is with a 'noid' light

http://www.noidlight.com/

Then check all the connections to the engine sensors one at a time, remove each one and examine for signs of corrosion or damage and a squirt of contact cleaner ( not WD40) will also help.

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.

If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies

Thanks Matt

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt