Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

Have a 2018 ktm 50 sx and it was running two days ago. Now…

Customer Question
Have a 2018 ktm...

Have a 2018 ktm 50 sx and it was running two days ago. Now it won't start. Have spark, checked the top end. Noticed it was leaking a litttle oil out of the exhaust flange when I was kicking it. Could it be the stator or not

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you ever replaced the gaskets? Maybe the hoses?

Haven't changed anything. Replaced both radiators. Just put a new fmf exhaust on it two weeks ago. It won't even try to start

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '50 motorcycle?

Ktm 50 sx

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?

I was trying to fix it myself. I cleaned the carb, checked the spark, checked the top end, and changed the kill switch

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Don't think so

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Motorcycle
12/3/2017
Motorcycle Mechanic: Louie, Technician replied 7 months ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, it would least likely be stator/ignition related since there is spark.

Still, let's try check and review the basics. Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):

• • determine the burn color of the spark plug tip;
  • • check if there is fuel at the carb bowl;
  • • drain carb bowl to see fuel quantity and quality;
  • • temporarily remove the air box;
  • • attempt to start with the carb mouth/air entry covered by the palm of your hand;
  • - feel if there is strong suction; and
  • - if your palm would get wet with fuel;
  • • consider checking / cleaning the bottom of the crankcase;
  • • as well as the exhaust system.

This is an independent site and members of this online community provide information, repair tips, technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.