Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

Well, took by 05 ultra classic in to the Harley shop because…

Customer Question
Well, took by 05...

Well, took by 05 ultra classic in to the Harley shop because it wouldn't keep running. replaced the 2 fuel lines and pressure valve inside the tank. problem fixed, only to have another one appear. the engine light and battery light came on and by the time I got home it wouldn't start. charged the battery up on the way to work the engine and battery light came back on. by the barely got parked and it died. charged battery up again died before I got back home. luckly I had someone follow me and they gave me a jump to get on home. charged battery again checked voltage 12.5 just battery, 11.7 key on, 10.5 start engine. I think it's a charging problem not sure what to do from here.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery? Have you tried testing the alternator?

Battery is ok, after starting the engine reved it up but voltage stayed around 12.5. did not go up to 14 like it did before

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Classic yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes and just what I've mentioned so far.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Could the Harley shop done some to cause this, while fixing the pin holes in the fuel lines. the bike had no other issues

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Motorcycle
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/2/2017
Motorcycle Mechanic: Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 4 months ago
Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic

charge the battery over night.

after charging, allow the battery to rest several hours until it is room temperature.

it should read 12.7 vdc.

start the engine an measure the battery voltage under the following conditions:

- ignition OFF

- ignition ON

- with start button pressed.

- with the engine at 2,000 rpm (fast idle)

let me know what you find.

Steve

Ok, key off 12.80, key on 12.15, start 10.24 at 2000 rpm 12.12

your charging system has failed.

- your battery is showing low capacity. if the voltage while pressing the start button does not improve after correcting the charging system, you should consider replacing it when it is convenient.

- to determine if your stator is grounded, disconnect the regulator cable from the stator cable.

on the STATOR (engine) side of the connector, measure the resistance of each connector pin to ground.

use a crankcase bolt as ground, use the highest ohm setting on your meter.

if any reading is other than OL (open circuit, infinity), it means the stator is grounded and must be replaced.

- after replacing the stator, check the battery voltage at 2,000 rpm again.

- if it s other than about 14 vdc, replace the regulator. (never cut and splice the regulator output wire. run it to the termination and terminate it there) use the old regulator wire to find how to route and terminate the new one.

after replacing the regulator, measure the battery voltage again.

if it is other than about 14 vdc, let me know.

Steve

Steve
Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic