Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

No power. I turn the key and nothing. No accessories,

Customer Question
I turn the key...

I turn the key and nothing. No accessories, lights, anything. Battery is perfectly good

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your motorcycle?

1983 honda nighthawk 650

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?

I checked the 30a fuse on the starter relay. its good. I checked the (4) 15amp fuses under the headlight, theyre good. I charged the battery. I tested the voltage after the 30amp fuse and its reading 12 volts.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The power was perfectly fine before I took the front apart to change the steering bearings After I put it back togther....no power

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Motorcycle
12/1/2017
Motorcycle Mechanic: Louie, Technician replied 7 months ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.Initially, let's try check and review the basics. Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):

• • ensure always BAT+12V on the red and red/white wires of the starter relay;
  • • re-check battery cables, clamps and terminals as well all wires/connectors from the starter relay and ignition switch;
  • • even if just for test purposes, hardwire a secondary ground line from the battery's - terminal to the frame, to the engine and to the harness' dark green wires as well as the common tie points of these dark green wires.

This is an independent site and members of this online community provide information, repair tips, technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.