Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

Have wiring problems with signals and hand brake light. Was…

Customer Question
Have wiring problems with...

Have wiring problems with signals and hand brake light.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?

Was in an accident 7 years ago rebuilding it and can't get the turn signalsor hand brake light to function.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your motorcycle?

1998 springer softail heritage. has a S&S110 motor

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am now trying to fix it myself. I have had 2 Harley certified mechanics work on this but both have turned out to be flakes. This was not done through any dealership. Personal mechanics although one had the bike for 6 years and left me a mess he is currently working for a dealership. Very frustrated!!!

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Motor runs fine need to hook up the signals and hand brake. Head light works fine.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Motorcycle
11/30/2017
Motorcycle Mechanic: Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 9 months ago
Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic

do you have the factory HD service manual?

do you have a multimeter?

let me know, we can continue then.

Steve

I have a Clymer J&P Manuel and yes I have a multi meter.

it is possible the clymer manual will not help you and ay actually be the cause of your problems. if you are going to work on your bike, you should invest in a HD factory manual. they aren't very expensive.

- turn signals are easy. at the module, verify you have 12v on the orange and a ground on black. you should see solid 12v on white/brown when pressing the right turn signal, and white/violet when pressing the left. this will result in a lfashing 12v/0v signal on violet for the left and brown for the right. if all the inputs are good but you get no flashing out, the module is bad. if you get a flashing out but the lamps do not flash, the most common problem is a bad ground to the lamp sockets.

- the most common problem with the brake light is blwn fuse or a bad switch at the handlebar. if the horn works, the brake switches should have 12v on the orange wire. you should see 12v on the red/yello when a brake switch is activated. if you have 12v on the R/Y all the time, check the handlebar switch. during assembly, it is not uncommon for the plunger to get broken, leaving the switch ON all the time.

let me know if you need more help.

Steve

Will get a Harley Davidson manual and call you then. Meanwhile. . I have a different rear fender that may not have the right harness plug.
I have a new set of handle bars and clutch and brake handles.
Will call as soon as possible.

I don't do phone calls.

your answer is in the HD wiring diagrams.

let me know if you need clarification.

Steve