Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I bought a 1983 Heritage Special and I cannot figure out how…

Customer Question
I bought a 1983...

I bought a 1983 Heritage Special and I cannot figure out how to get the seat off of it to gain access to the battery.

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Federal Coach Heritage. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

It is a Yamaha X650S Motorcycle

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Motorcycle
Is anything happening?
11/29/2017
Motorcycle Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 4 months ago
Pete, Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

Unfortunately, my info isn't showing for sure how this is removed.Check for any bolts or clips that may be holding it down needing removed to then remove it.If this is or was already done and nothing was found as an indication to remove it let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

It has a helmet lock and a lever to unlatch the right side of the seat when you unlock the helmet lock. The seat acts like it wants to fold upward from the right side, however there are some clips on the front end, near the gas tank, that slide into a bracket. this keeps the seat from opening toward the left. There is some obstacle that I cannot see on the left rear of the seat that seems to keep the seat from sliding backward. It just has me stymied and I don't want to damage anything.

Unfortunately, I am unable to place a call on this here myself but others see you have requested a call and may still call on this here.I can, however, continue here.

Unfortunately, my info isn't showing how this is released.Let me see if anyone else here can assist further on this.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Motorcycle Mechanic: ,  replied 4 months ago
Phone call session started
Motorcycle Mechanic: Chase Capicotti,
 replied 4 months ago
Chase Capicotti

Hi there, there should be a seat latch somewhere near the rear of the seat that will release it. It may even be in conjunction with the helmet lock. Once released, lift the seat lightly in the rear and slide it rearward and it should come right off. I hope this helps!

Chase Capicotti
Chase Capicotti
Chase Capicotti