Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I replaced the carb on my ‘99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 with a new,

Customer Question
I replaced the carb...

I replaced the carb on my ‘99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 with a new, out of the box replacement carb. The engine turns over but it won’t start, even with spraying starter fluid in the air intake. Are there any adjustment that I need to make to the new carb to start with?

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the engine spark at all? Is there a trouble code or is your "check engine light" on?

I know I’ve got fuel and I do have spark at the spark plug but no signs of ignition. No trouble code, o check engine I get.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '99 motorcycle?

Kawasaki Bayou 400. And, my mistake, it is a 1993 model.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, on my own. Had to replace the carb because \\

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Before puking the original carb to clean it the engine where run whil praying starter fluid. But new carb with no adjustment equals no ignition.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Motorcycle
11/27/2017
Motorcycle Mechanic: Louie, Technician replied 7 months ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.
Initially and to avoid asking you to do something you've already tried, can you please tell me what / any and all troubleshooting / specific steps you've already attempted other than / to address the above.

• ...have you tried covering the carb mouth with the plam of your hand while attempting to start?
  • - to determine if there is strong suction;
  • - and if your palm would get wet with fuel;
  • ...have you drained the contents of the carb bowl to check fuel quantity and quality?

This is an independent site and members of this online community provide information, repair tips, technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.

No, I haven’t tried any of the trouble shooting steps you’ve asked about. I’ve only been able to ensure I am getting fuel from the tank to the carb and also that I’ve got spark. I’ll check you’re bullet points tomorrow and relay what I find. Thanks.

Yes please, an update tomorrow or when able.