Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a 2006 Polaris Ranger 500. It turns over but will not…

Customer Question
I have a 2006...

I have a 2006 Polaris Ranger 500. It turns over but will not start. It is getting gas, the injectors are clean, it is getting spark

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Does not start

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?

Cleaned injectors, checked fuel pump and it was pumping fuel when I turn the key on, checked for spark on the plug and it seems fine

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It just turns over when trying to start

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Motorcycle
11/27/2017
Motorcycle Mechanic: Louie, Technician replied 7 months ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, let's try check and review the basics. Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):

• • temporarily remove the airbox;
  • • cover the throttle body's air entry with the palm of your hand;
  • • attempt to start the Ranger while still covering the throttle body's air entry point;
  • - determine if there is strong suction;
  • - and if your palm would get wet with fuel;
  • • remove the spark plug and check if fuel reaches its ts tip.

This is an independent site and members of this online community provide information, repair tips, technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.

Ok I will try that this afternoon. I could see the piston moving, do you think it could be the rings

Possibly; after the above checks, a compression check or better yet, a leak down test may be needed.

...even if just for test purposes.