Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have recently acquired an 06 Ranger XP 700 EFI 6X6 that…

Customer Question
I have recently acquired an...
I have recently acquired an 06 Ranger XP 700 EFI 6X6 that had a small electrical fire. The only wires that melted were both injector harnesses, fuel pump harness, and coolant temp sensor wires. Now I don't have power going to the ignition switch(shows ground with a Power Probe). The only things I have found with power are the AWD switch and ACC port(cig lighter) during a brief search. Things like the hour meter, for example, show a ground with the ignition on.
Could the wires that melted, causing power to go to ground, have fried to computer? I assume this is the one under the hood and not under the seat that runs the EFI. Still trying to understand how this has NO fuses. Thank you.
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Motorcycle
Answered in 2 days by:
11/27/2017
Motorcycle Mechanic: Louie, Technician replied 9 months ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.
Initially, let's try check and review the basics. Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):

• • ensure orange wire to ignition switch has an always available BAT+12V;
  • • and that the red/white wire from the same switch has an IGN+12V when switched on;
  • • if no BAT+12V on the orange wire, check the 20A fuse at the fuse box;
  • • if good, check for this BAT+12 on the red wire to the fuse box from the + terminal of the terminal block;
  • • there is a dark blue fusible link / splice between this red wire and the terminal block;
  • • an often fault is corrosion or loose connection somewhere along this line particularly the fusible link;
  • • in some instances or even if just for test purposes, hardwire a secondary ground line from the bbatery's - terminal to the frame, to the engine and to the harness brown/ground line and their common tie point.

This is an independent site and members of this online community provide information, repair tips, technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.