Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a 06 ltr450 that wont start i cant figure out why it…

Customer Question
Hello, I have a 06 ltr450...
I have a 06 ltr450 that wont start i cant figure out why it wont. I try strating it and all i here is the fuel pump turning on but when i try turning it on ir just wont do anything. I tried hooking some jumper to try starting it and it did but once i would disconnect them it would turn off.i have cleaned gas lines and gas tank already.
Plss help!!
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Motorcycle
11/22/2017
Motorcycle Mechanic: Louie, Technician replied 8 months ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.
Initially and to avoid asking you to do something you've already tried, can you please tell me what / any and all troubleshooting / specific steps you've already attempted other than / to address the above.

• ...have you checked the starter button?
  • ...and engaged the clutch while attempting to start?

Still, let's try check and review the basics. Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):

• • re-inspect the battery, its ground lines to the harness (black/yellow wires), frame & engine, and/or re-check and re-clean the battery cables + terminals, connectors and wiring;
  • • more importantly, have the battery externally charged; and
  • • then also have the battery LOAD TESTed (even if new/charged and just for the purpose of eliminating it as a suspect);
  • • locate the starter relay, start by following the big cable from the + terminal of the battery as it always ends up tied to 1 of the 2 big terminals of the starter relay/solenoid;
  • • jump the 2 big terminals of the starter relay. Expect a big spark. Starter motor should turn;
  • • if yes, but the starter relay still only clicks (or no click) when attempting to start, then the starter relay is likely faulty and/or the circuitry attendant to it;
  • • if not, then the starter motor and/or battery-cables would be the suspect;
  • • check for IGN+12V on the orange/white wire of the starter relay; and
  • • that the yellow/black wire is tied to ground when attempting to start.

This is an independent site and members of this online community provide information, repair tips, technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.

I started the quad by placing a screw driver on both ends of the starter relay were it made a big spark but wouldnt stay on once removed the screw driver. I dont know if it might be my starter relay or i need to adjust valves or maybe my starter clutch.

I understand.

Carefully perform a spark test. Click HERE.

Hi again,

Any update?

Well i changed the spark plug and it still doesnt turn onThe last owner had told me that it was sitting for a while and told me he thinks the motor might have water but i made it work for a coulpe weeks and i had an issue when i would give it full gas it would bogg and just wouldnt give the power the quad has

Significant additional information.

And was the spark test done?

What is the color of the tip of the old spark plug?

Still and based on the above (if have not been done):

• re-check "... gas lines...gas tank..."
  • check oil;
  • ensure fresh fuel;
  • add injector cleaner with fuel;
  • (temporarily) remove the air box and filter;
  • spray the throttle body with injector cleaner;
  • let it soak for a while;
  • (preferably remove the injector for cleaning/soaking);
  • attempt to start while covering the air entry end of the throttle body;
  • - determine if there is strong suction;
  • - and if your palm would get with fuel.