Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have 2011 arctic cat 550. Display went out and then died.

Customer Question
I have 2011 arctic...

I have 2011 arctic cat 550. Display went out and then died. Won't start. Battery good. Can you give me an idea where to start

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Every thing on connections looks ok and tight

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 550 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Trying. I've checked fuses and checked ignition switch

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Was running fine one day. Next day went to load on trailer and would not start

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Motorcycle
11/20/2017
Motorcycle Mechanic: Eric, Technician replied 10 months ago
Eric, Technician

If you are certain the battery is in good condition, then you will want to check battery connections, and ground connections. A bad connection will have this same exact symptom, where everything would once turn on fine, but then you go to hit the starter button or something that puts a load on the system, it will short out at the corroded or bad connection. Also if you are certain that all the fuses are in good shape you will need to find where exactly your losing the power at. If you have checked battery grounds and battery posts, then you will need a test light or multimeter to check at the fuses where your losing power. So first you would start with the main fuse. If you are getting power at the main fuse then that assumes your battery and grounds are working correctly. If you are not getting power at the main fuse then the issue is something with those. However if you are getting power, then next you would turn the ignition switch on. This should give you power to your other fuses like ignition fuse, lights, acc and ect. If you are not getting power to those fuses but you are the main fuse, then this would indicate that something is wrong with the ignition switch or its connection. This would require some investigating at the ignition switch connector and other parts of the harness going up to it. If you would have power to these then you should be at least getting your lights, or display or something to show some sign of life. Do you have power to any of these fuses?

My head lights work. I was heading out of town so I just loaded another 4 wheeler up. I will dig deeper this afternoon

ok great, just let me know

Thanks I will