Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

Well all of a sudden i started to hear a knocking for fo…

Well all of a...

Well all of a sudden i started to hear a knocking for fo reason on thing that ive done reasonly was an oil change!!! Could it be the oil

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Last week i noticed it but i havent moved it anymore.. i stopped ridding the same day i noticed the noise. Not sure i think its coming from the rockers but cant pin point

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your motorcycle?

2001 road king about 77 k miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?

I checked hoses for leaks, connector make sure that they disnt come apart for some reason also checked the spark plugs they need to be changed.. but thats all

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I was wondering if u can accidentally press a button on the power comander accidentally because i noticed that it came off the zipp ties and the plastic cover was hitting the buttons count that be accidentally changed once its set? I havent changed anything..

11/19/2017
Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic

the buttons on the PC V will not cause a knock in the engine.

knocking noises don't come from the rocket covers. a valve train tapping noise wouldn't be unusual.

I need a clarification. start and run the engine, verify the low oil pressure light is off.

when you can hear the noise, kill the ignition with the run/stop switch and carefully listen to determine IF the noise ceases immediately as the ignition is killed OR if you still hear the noise as the flywheels wind down.

let me know what you find.

Steve

Ok when i kill it. I still ear it when its winding down.!

it's a valve train noise. not a "knock".

if it happened right after an oil change, you may have air in the oil lines resulting in a reduction of oil pressure to the lifters.

it can happen if you leave the drain plug out very long after the oil starts to drip.

it's important on bikes with the oil bag below the engine to not foul the prime in the oil feed line.

most Harley mechanics have a dummy oil fill plug with a air fitting in it. it's used t pressurize the oil bag and fore oil up the oil feed passage to resolve this very issue.

let me know if you need more help.

Steve

Ok thank u will do!!

let me know if you need more help.

if not, please accept my answer.

thank you,

Steve

Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Ok thank u