Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

My fan isn't turning on on my 05 ninja ZX6R and I'm trying…

Hi My fan isn't...

Hi My fan isn't turning on on my 05 ninja ZX6R and I'm trying to locate the relay case to check my fan relay

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? How old is the battery?

Odo 16131 its most likely the same battery from o5

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '05 motorcycle?

Ninja ZX6R

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?

Fixing myself, I've tested the fan to make sure the electric fan motor works, which it does

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thanks

11/18/2017
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, let's try check and review the basics. Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):

• • 15A fan fuse;
  • • relay box under the seat, left side towards the rear;
  • • fan motor relay would be with the 4-pin connector;
  • • fan motor relay wiring:
  • - blue/black from the fan fuse;
  • - blue/white to the fan motor;
  • - white +12V source;
  • - black/blue to ECU.
  • • fan motor's black/yellow wire to head cover ground.

This is an independent site and members of this online community provide information, repair tips, technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.

Hi again,

Is further assistance/information still needed with the fan relay?

How would I go about testing the relay? Is a meter a necessity or could I listen for an audible click?

With a multi-meter. The fan motor relay can be tested:

• blue/black from the fan fuse - should always have a +12V;
  • blue/white to the fan motor - would have +12V when this relay clicks;
  • white +12V source - should always have a +12V;
  • black/blue to ECU - should have +12V when relay/fan is OFF while should be 0.0V when relay clicks and fan motor spins.

Workaround tests if comfortable with:

• momentarily short together the blue/black wire with +12 to the blue/white = fan motor should spin;
  • momentarily but carefully jump the black/blue wire to frame ground = the relay should click and fan motor spin.

Hi again,

Is further information/assistance still needed with the ZX6R?

I might wire a toggle switch to the fan, what type of switch should I buy? Single pull single throw? And how do I configure the wires?
Also, if my relay is faulty, would I buy an entirely new relay assembly box?

Yes; if a workaround to a faulty relay, then a 15A SPST (single-pole, single-throw) hardwired/soldered to the blue/black and the blue/white wires.

Yes; if fan motor relay faulty, the prescribed procedure is to replace the relay box assembly Part Number###-##-####/a> something like the item shown HERE.

Alternatively and if substituting with an external relay, then use a single Bosch relay wired as:

• blue/black - pin 30;
  • blue/white - pin 87;
  • white - pin 85;
  • black/blue to ECU - pin 86.

Even if just to rule out the water temperature sensor as a suspect - check, clean, verify integrity of its wires/connector.

Hi again,

If the above information served your purpose and if you haven’t done so, please provide a positive rating (3 to 5 stars) at the top of your page.

Thanks.

Louie, Technician