Motorcycle

Motorcycle Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Motorcycle

Working on a Kawasaki Prairie 400 4 x 4 will not start has

weak spark but won’t fire...
Working on a Kawasaki Prairie 400 4 x 4 will not start has weak spark but won’t fire even with starting fluid
11/18/2017
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.
Initially, and to avoid asking you to do something you've already tried, can you please tell me what / any and all troubleshooting / specific steps you've already attempted other than / to address the above.

• ...spark test?
  • ...compression check?
  • ...presence of intake vacuum?

This is an independent site and members of this online community provide information, repair tips, technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I have done a spark test I have weak spark. I have taken off the air intake and sprayed starting fluid and it still doesn’t fire every once in a while I’ll get a week backfire I can’t run a compression test because my compression tester won’t go into the head
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I’m not sure how to check intake vacuum
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Play history was it sat for a while started up ran for five or 10 minutes and then died

Have you drained / clean the tank and replaced with fresh fuel?

Let's try this:

• remove the air box;
  • cover the carb mouth with the palm of your hand;
  • attempt to start;
  • determine if there is strong suction;
  • and if your palm would get wet with fuel.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I have a standard automotive compression tester it has three adapters I can get none of the three adaptors to fit
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I have the gas tank removed and just trying to fire it on Starting fluid

Please see / perform previous post.

Considering rigging a gravity fed gasoline bottle + fuel line.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Putting my hand over the mouth of the carburetor there is a strong suction in my hand gets very wet with fuel

Have you tried / can you please try:

• check the oil (possible stale fuel contamination);
  • spray the insides of the spark plug hole with compressed air;
  • pour a small amount of fuel through the spark plug hole;
  • replace the spark plug.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Cleaned and reinstalled the fuel tank changing the oil and filter what is the clear tank just in front of the oil check

That would most likely be the coolant reserve tank.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
OK finally completed all your checks and initially didn’t fire but after hitting it was starting fluid and cranking it a long time with Fire when he fired it rain but it runs very sluggish

I understand; it now runs! ...albeit sluggishly

Confirm that the fuel has been drained and replaced/fresh.

Repeatedly cover the carb mouth with your palm. The idea is to draw any dirt out through the carb mouth.

Re-install the air box + filter.

If symptom persists, then it would need a carb pulldown for soaking and full cleaning.

Louie, Technician
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
the Fuel was drained and replaced. I Will do the handover the carburetor thing a bunch is there any kind of additive that might help

Consider / try carb cleaner added to the tank, sprayed through the carb mouth, fuel line to the carb abd to the insides of the carb bowl through the drain hose with the drain screw loosed.

Allow a bit of soaking.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
OK thanks I’ll try that
Louie, Technician