Motorcycle

Motorcycle Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Motorcycle

02 Yamaha big bear 400 no spark, Just told you, Just told

Customer Question
02 Yamaha big bear 400...
02 Yamaha big bear 400 no spark
JA: What's the make/model/year of your bike?
Customer: Just told you
JA: What is the model of your '02 motorcycle?
Customer: Just told you
JA: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Everything
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 29 days ago.Category: Motorcycle
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
please someone, new coil and cap, new plug. plug discharges when 12 v applied. new stator and pick up coil, magneto is turning. new cdi box, cdi box is receiving 12v from the red/blk wire when key is on, black wire to cdi wire is grounded, checked main ground to frame, key switch works, kill switch works, starter works.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
checked ohms on new pulse coil, its in spec...checked continuity on orange wire that runs from coil to cdi, its good
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
what im i missing? the ground to coil is good.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
checked neutral safety switch. the quad turns over when in neutral and green like on. will not turn over in gear. turns over with kill switch in run position. will not turn over in off.
11/17/2017
Motorcycle Mechanic: Louie, Technician replied 29 days ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.Initially, let's try check and review the basics. Proposed preliminary checks when attempting to start (if have not been done) with the use of a peak voltage meter:

• • low pulsating voltage from the pickup coil;
  • • high pulsating voltage from the exciter coil;
  • • pulsating voltage from the CDI to the ignition coil.

...or a sensitive analog multi-meter.

This is an independent site and members of this online community provide information, repair tips, technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
hey louie, thanks for the response. Im not at the machine right now but I can check these issues later tonight. OK #1. 2 wires from pick up coil blue and green. check either one while cranking and whats low voltage? 3v? analog meter movement?#2 got a red wire and blue or black wire for the exciter coil. same thing? just check either of those wires while cranking? whats high voltage? 10 -12v?#3 I have no voltage at all going to the coil from the CDI on the orange wire.I will respond with results as soon as I can.Thank you for your time
Motorcycle Mechanic: Louie, Technician replied 25 days ago

Expected pulsating voltages (depending on coil specs) would be something like below when attempting to start:

• 0.5 ~ 1.0V from the pickup coil;
  • 20.0 ~ 30.0V from the exciter coil;
  • 10.0 ~ 15.0V to the ignition coil.

Please re-check the coil resistances:

• pickup coil - ___Ω;
  • exciter coil - ___Ω;
  • ignition coil primary - ___Ω.

And yes please, an update when able.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Louie, thankyou for your patience and time. Here is the update
All tests with a analog meter, zeroed in before each reading.
pick up coil resistance. setting R100 - 465ohms. believe spec to be 459-561
exciter coil. setting R1 - 0.100 ohms. believe spec to be .085 - 0.105
ignition coil. primary setting R1 - .25ohms. believe spec to be .18 - .28
secondary setting R1k - 20kohms. believe spec to be 10kVoltage
pick coil gets movement on the .25v setting. same with exciter coil.
ignition coil gets movement as soon as a connect leads, but no pulse when I turn it over.would you say my ignition coil is the problem?
Motorcycle Mechanic: Louie, Technician replied 24 days ago

I would beg to disagree; it appears that the pulsating voltage from the exciter is missing...and even possibly, also missing from the pick up coil. It would least likely be an ignition coil issue.

There are three (3) other coils from the new stator; 3 yellow wires or 3 white wires. Any AC voltage from any pairing of these 3 wires when attempting to start?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
there are 3 white wires. I will have to check to see is there is any voltage. Is there anyway to check the magneto? Do the magnets actually go bad? It is spinning with the crank, I checked the woodruff key and it is good. One thing im going to try is a known good different battery. The one in it isn't dead and it turns the quad over just fine. Iv have it on a trickle charge for 6 days now but after cranking it, the voltage drops and it has to charge up again to 100%.

Not that often but the magneto can loose its strong magnetic properties and would result to no output voltage from the pick up coil, the exciter coil and even the 3-phase stator / alternator coils....hence the voltage checks on any pairing of the 3 whites.

A fully charge / known to be good battery would spin the starter faster = engine cranking faster = higher output voltages from the (stator) coils.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I agree. I will check into this and give you outdate as soon as I can. thank you

Yes please, an update when conveniently able.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
lots of ac voltage coming from the 3 white wires. installed a brand new battery, still no spark at plug
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
on the old stator unit I have "0" ohms on the pick up coil wires. thats why I got a new one. Just to see Im going to re-install it and see what kind of voltage reading I get on the exciter coil.
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
ok. Im getting the same readings on the old stator and exciter coil as I am on the new. I did this because I dont have a peak voltage meter just analog. so even though I cant read the exact voltage i can see that both match. The pick up readings were different. so in my mind because the stator and exciter match on both and the pick up didnt the pick up was the issue. and that means all components are good on my new stator unit. the magneto has strong, it grabs a screwdriver strong.
Motorcycle Mechanic: Louie, Technician replied 21 days ago

What multi-meter brand/model is in use please?

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
I am using a "micronta" range doubler multitester. cat. no. 22-204a. I have looked back on what we have talked about. my ignition coil reading on the secondary was 20k ohms. believe spec. to be10k. You don't believe this may be an issue? I think I have another good known coil off another machine I can try just to see if it makes a difference. thank you for your time.
Motorcycle Mechanic: Louie, Technician replied 19 days ago

When checking for low pulsating voltage from the pickup coil, use 10 AC V and for the exciter coil, 50 DC V.

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Using the settings you requested the pickup coil is about 1v . I get no movement from the exciter coil.
Motorcycle Mechanic: Louie, Technician replied 18 days ago

Then:

• pickup coil is about 1v - good;
  • no movement from the exciter coil - alarming. Still try 50 AC V;
  • if still no or very low voltage, repeat but reverse the black & red test probes.
  • if still no high pulsating voltage, then a stator issue.
Customer reply replied 17 days ago
I taped pins on meter leads for a better connection. On 10 a.c. v I'm getting around 12 to 15 v. On the exciter coil
Customer reply replied 17 days ago
this reading seems to be what others are getting. were do I go from here?
Motorcycle Mechanic: Louie, Technician replied 12 days ago

Sorry, but IF the 10 AC V range is used, THEN it would be unlikely that "...12 to 15 v..." is readable. In this range, the maximum would be only 10 Volts.

Customer reply replied 12 days ago
you are correct. flipping between the different range settings I got turned around and gave you a false reading. I have weak voltage on my exciter coil, like .5 volts. That's on the old one, the new one, and a third one I tried known good from another machine I have in the shop. All three I'm getting the same low voltage reading. So my question is what's creating the low voltage? If my stator unit is good, that means my magneto magnets are weak and need to be replaced? thank you in advance for your time.

Was the test done with the wires disconnected from the CDI?

If not, please try again with the wires of the exciter coil disconnected from its CDI connection.

And yes, very significant results.

Customer reply replied 12 days ago
my test was done with all wires from the stator unit disconnected from the wiring harness.

Let's try this (out-of the-box) step even if just for test purposes; hardwire a secondary ground line from the battery's - terminal to the frame, to the engine and to the harness black wires particularly the common tie point(s) of these black wires. Do the same for/to the black/white wire of the ignition coil.

Louie, Technician