Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

Charging system 98 shadow 1100c got voltage between red/wht…

Charging system 98 shadow...

Charging system 98 shadow 1100c got voltage between red/wht and green wires, reg and rectif unpiugged

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?

Repaired bad connecter to rectif

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Shadow yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes fuzes good yes diagram, replaced volt reg, repaired burned connector 3 yellows

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Got everything unplugged but starter relay it chd good

11/16/2017
Eric, Technician

There are only the two components that make up your charging system. That voltage regulator, and the stator. I see that you replaced the connector for the stator. That can possibly mean your stator has shorted as well, but there is a way to check that. Do you have use of a multimeter that has the ohms, or resistance setting?

showed good all 3 = .9

does any of those yellow wires show any kind of reading between it and ground?

Dammit yes 1.3 on all
How’ed i miss that
Shouldn’t rite?

nope. That indicates a insulation breakdown in the windings of the stator. That stator is bad. Small chance it took out the regulator as well. But i would definately replace that stator and see what the voltages look like from there. If its charging great, if not the shorted stator took out the regulator with it. Any questions on this please let me know I will be more than happy to help further.

Ok thanks I’ll get one ordered

no problem, thank you for your question. please take the time to rate this question. Again if anything else comes up let me know ill be happy to help. thank you.

Eric, Technician
As soon as i get the rect in I’ll let you know how it goes
Eric, Technician