Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

2001 HARLEY SOFTTAIL SHUTDOWN WHILE RIDING HAD TOWED HOME…

Customer Question
2001 HARLEY SOFTTAIL...

2001 HARLEY SOFTTAIL SHUTDOWN WHILE RIDING HAD TOWED HOME HAD BATTERY CHECKED TOLD WAS SHORTED SAT 3 MONTHS NOW I BOUGHT BATTERY TURNS OVER SLOWLY TOOK PLUGS OUT TURNS A LITTLE FASTER BUT STILL NOT FAST ENOUGH

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?

JUST PUT IN BRAND NEW DEKA BATTERY , LIKE I SAID 3 MONTHS AGO SHUT DOWN WHILE RIDING WOULD NOT RESTART

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '01 motorcycle?

HERITAGE SOFTTAIL 2001

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?

CAR GUY HERE LEARNING ABOUT MOTORCYCLES SEEMS TO HAVE COMPRESSION SLOWS DOWN ALOT WITH PLUGS IN

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

NO YOU GOT WHATS GOING ON

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Motorcycle
ok to charge battery on 2 amp ??????
11/16/2017
Motorcycle Mechanic: Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 8 months ago
Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic

I will need some voltage readings to check the starter and electrical system.

measure the battery voltage under the following conditions:

- ignition OFF

- ignition ON

- with the start button depressed.

let me know what you find,

Steve

JUST CAME IN FROM OUT THERE NEW BATTERY AT 11.81 GUESS FROM CRANKING OVER
11.71 KEY OFF 11.41 KEY ON DOWN TO 6.85 CRANKING WITH PLUGS OUT

your bike will not start with 6.85 cranking volts.

your battery is in a extreme low state of charge. 11.81 vdc is somewhere around 25% charge.

charge the battery. I recommend over night with a trickle charger, if you have one, or the best you can.

AFTER the battery is fully charged, remove the charger and allow the battery to rest until it is at room temperature and reading 12.7 vdc.

if the engine does not start then, repeat the voltage test and report the values.

let me know if you need more help.

Steve

OK TO CHARGE 2 AMP REGULAR CHARGER , JUST TOOK THE BATTERY OUT OF BOX

charge it by whatever means you have. if it's an automatic charger, allow it to charge until the current is near zero.

but allow it to rest after charging, as I detailed above.

for future reference, never take a battery out of the box and install it without first charging it fully.

Steve

Motorcycle Mechanic: Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 7 months ago

let me know if you need more help.

thank you,

Steve

let me know if you need more help.

thank you,

Steve