Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

Not sure if I'm getting to much or not enough fuel to my. It…

Not sure if I'm getting...
Not sure if I'm getting to much or not enough fuel to my carburetor. It idles a bit rough and with throttle dies
11/13/2017
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.
Initially and to avoid asking you to do something you've already tried, can you please tell me what / any and all troubleshooting / specific steps you've already attempted other than / to address the above.

• ...is everything stock?
  • ...have you checked the spark plug tip's burn color?
  • ...is fuel fresh?
  • ...has it been sitting for some time?

This is an independent site and members of this online community provide information, repair tips, technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.

I have adjusted and cleaned the carbs several times, put new fuel in it, changed the fuel filter, did an oil change, synced the carbs to the best of my abilities
Spark plugs have also been changed

What were the burn colors of the previous spark plugs?

Dark brown like burnt oil

It would be to an advantage to perform a compression or better yet, a leak-down test....even if just for test/elimination process.

I did a compression test and on the front engine it's getting 80 on both plugs and on the rear it's getting 140 on both plugs

These readings would be indicative of an internal engine issue.

Still:

• is the air box + filter installed?
  • tightly/correctly with no possibility of an air leak?
  • battery/charging voltage tested/checked?
The battery is dead I'm using a car battery wired with cables to the motorcycle battery to operate it until my new battery arrive, my air box has crack around the carburetor intakes.

The "...crack around the carburetor intakes..." would imply air leak = lean mix; i.e. too much air, too little fuel.

Together with the low compression on the front cylinders would cause the rough idle and the hesitancy to rev (or even dying).

Address/correct the air leak and there would be noticeable improvement when throttling up.

Unfortunately, there is no workaround the difference in compression reading.

Would improper valve clearance cause the bad compression ?
what is good compression to shoot for ?

Possible to have valve issues too considering the age but the compression would be more of a piston/ring concern.

The front and rear compression reading should be nearly identical. Ideally, about 178psi ± 28psi.

The bike only has 5k miles on it it's sad that it has that much engine trouble
What would you say a good course of action would be

Let's address/correct the air leak first and determine if there would be noticeable improvement when throttling up.

replace the air box ?

Preferably yes if able to.

upon investigating it's the air cleaner chamber (part after the air box that connects to the carburetor) that has cracks

Ahhh, these would be the couplings then.

Please post back with clear pictures of the "...part after the air box that connects to the carburetor..." Click HERE.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl
These pictures would then serve as common references allowing me to see what you are seeing.

Hi again,

Is further assistance/information still needed with the Shadow?

Louie, Technician