Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I saw your posts helping a customer diagnose a bad stator on…

Jeff, I saw your posts helping...
Jeff,
I saw your posts helping a customer diagnose a bad stator on a Polaris Ranger. I might be having a similar problem. I have a 2003 Polaris Ranger 4x4 series 11.
There is a red wire under the hood that melted at its connection going into one of three little black boxes. The other wires in that box are 1 solid yellow, 1 yellow with red tracer, and 1 brown (to ground). The yellow wire with red tracer makes a connection and splits, going to each of the other two black boxes and back into the harness.
I cut out the melted connector and installed an inline 15amp fuse, which eventually blew. All electronics seem to be working fine, except the battery does not seem to be charging since the connection at the red wire was lost, and is only a couple of months old.
Could there be something wrong with the charging system to overheat the red wire?
Any help would be appreciated.
11/12/2017
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.
Initially, have you tried with the regulator temporarily disconnected? ...would the fuse still blow?

This is an independent site and members of this online community provide information, repair tips, technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.

Hi Louie,Thank you for your response. I put a new fuse in and noticed that it did not blow while idling. I drove it a short distance with all electronics off and it blew. I disconnected the two yellow wires, leaving the red and ground connected, installed a new fuse and repeated the short drive. It did not blow.

Appreciate the post back.

"...new fuse...it blew..." before or even after "...disconnected the two yellow wires..." please?

My apologies, I first installed a fuse and took it for a drive to verify that it would blow, which it did. Then I disconnected the yellow wires and repeated the test with a new fuse, this time it did not.

I understand.

The above would be indicative of:

• over-voltage from the stator (least likely);
  • over-charging from the regulator (most likely).
I see, I guess I will try to locate a new regulator and see if that fixes the problem.One follow up question: I had recently added a couple of LED lights and a radio, which are powered from the battery through a solenoid and a fuse box. This would not cause any problems would it? Especially if the fuse blew while all electronics were off?

No; unlikely as this fuse would have blown too if something went wrong with these add-ons/mods.

Great, thanks so much. I will let you know how the regulator works.

Glad that the above information may serve your purpose and if you haven’t done so, please provide a positive rating (3 to 5 stars) at the top of your page

Louie, Technician