Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

My kawaski ninja zx6r hesatate at high speed. 2008 kawaski…

Customer Question
My kawaski ninja zx6r...

My kawaski ninja zx6r hesatate at high speed

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your bike?

2008 kawaski ninja zx6r

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '08 motorcycle?

Ninja zx6r

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?

Fix myself if possible,

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Motorcycle
11/10/2017
Motorcycle Mechanic: kwiggins29059, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 8 months ago
kwiggins29059
kwiggins29059, Motorcycle Mechanic

Hello, does it do this in all gears at a certain RPM or just in 6th at a certain speed/RPM? Have any modifications been done to the bike?

Rev bike to higher RPM

Thanks, ***** ***** is most likely from a lean condition, if the engine has been modified and not tuned via a programmer or ecm flash I would start there. Otherwise check the following after verifying no service engine light on and/or pulling diagnostic codes if it is.

1. Air filter

2. Vacuum leaks from throttle body boots. With the bike running spray some carb cleaner around the boots that go from throttle bodies to head. There may be a slight crack causing a lean condition at higher engine speeds.

3. Spark plugs- examine them for a nice ash grey color on the electrodes. I f they are a scorched white color replace

4. Plug wires/coils- when you remove the wires look for any oil in the plug well or on the boot. This can cause a misfire. It means you need to replace the valve cover gasket and tube seals. Another thing to test of those look good is to pull the bike in a darkened area and spray water from a spray bottle on the wire/coil. if you see sparks you will need to replace them.

5. Fuel filter- meant to last the lifetime of the bike but if all the above look good it needs to be checked/replaced.