Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

The starter just spins but wont engage. i pulled it, rebuilt…

Customer Question
The starter just spins...

The starter just spins but wont engage. i pulled it, rebuilt it including the clutch. same thing. got another starter, new, installed it same thing. the battery is new and fully charged. to isolate it i hooked it up to my diesel, twin batery, and the same thing.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?

Starter clutch the problem is the starter spins but does not engage the stater gear

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your motorcycle?

Its a 98 softail

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?

I just typed that,

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No i think that should work

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Motorcycle
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
When I rebuilt the stater, it's a 1.4 kw, I replaced the Bendix with a new unit. Also I have a totally new starter, it does the same thing. Thought it could be the battery so I isolated that by using a known good battery, same thing. Pulled the solenoid cover off and actuated the solenoid by hand, same thing. If i "jump" the starter, isolate the switch, I get the same result. I've inspected the starter internals, all the gears are there no teeth missing, alignment is good, Bendix spins one way not both. jack-shaft actuates easily within the Bendix. When I bench test the starters, the rebuilt and the new starter, both actuate like they should. I have noticed that if i apply a small amount of inward pressure to the jack-shaft while bench testing neither starter will extend to full engagement. Basically placing my finger on the end of the Jack-shaft and apply a small amount of lateral resistance to the shaft outward movement, both starters will not push though the small force i'm applying.
All three of the Bendix that I now have will only turn one way, all three are doing the same thing. Every now and then, say one out of 15 attempts, the pinion gear will engage and the motor will turn over quickly.
Answered in 2 days by:
11/5/2017
Motorcycle Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 8 months ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

I am sorry no one has responded yet. As of right now I do not believe my answer would be good enough to please you. Can you add more details so I can see if I or another can help or do you have a different question we may be able to help on in place of this one?

Chris