Motorcycle

Motorcycle Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Motorcycle

New battery and starter relay, the starter does nothing, it

new battery and starter relay...
new battery and starter relay, the starter does nothing
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: it a 1991 h-d sportster and only 12000 miles
JA: What is the model of your '91 motorcycle?
Customer: xl1200
JA: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes , I put a new battery in it and it started ,but cut off within a minute and starter would not turn or make any niose
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i put a new starter relay in it and checked the breaker
10/21/2017
Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic

I need more information to diagnose your problem.

measure the battery terminal voltage under the following conditions:

- ignition OFF.

- ignition ON.

- with the start button depressed.

your answers will provide information on the functioning of your electrical and starter systems.

tell me everything you can,

Steve

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the battery, reads 12.63 volts. With ignition on, the battery reads 12.28 volts. With ignition on, and starter button depressed it drops to 11.41 volts, then the relay clicks and it goes back to 12.26. Lights dim when ignition button is depressed.

on the starter, you will see a green wire and a battery battery cable connected.

short the terminal with the green wire to the terminal with the battery cable.

- I have found it best to connect one end of the jumper wire to a female spade connector and connect it to the green wire terminal, then jut touch the other end to the post where the battery cable connects at the starter.

be prepared, there will likely be sparks. this is normal. and the starter should crank the engine.

let me know what happens.

Steve

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
did green wire to starter post. did it with ignition on and off . the results was nothing happen

that will do nothing and is not what I told you to do.

please re-read the post above and let me know what you find.

Steve

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I guess I did it correctly this time, the starter turn over

remove the green wire.

check the voltage from the end of the green wire when the start button is pressed, with the key on.

let me know what you find.

Steve

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
not sure I am doing this correct. it went to 2.8 to the .OL this was red on green wire and black grounded to bike

you are not getting power through your stater relay.

your start relay socket has 4 wires.

- one black is ground, the other black is from the start button. if the relay makes an audible "click' when you push the button, don't worry about those.

- you know where the green wire goes. the orange goes to the accessory circuit breaker.

you need to check the orange from the accc breaker to the relay socket and the green from the starter to the relay socket.

if everything looks good, TURN IGNITION OFF and remove the orange from the acc breaker and move it to the MAIN Circuit breaker, silver post.

- the main circuit breaker is the one that has a wire from the regulator/rectifier attached to the silver post. the copper colored post goes directly to the battery, so be careful, that circuit breaker is always energized.

(the lights breaker has blue load wires, the ignition breaker has gray load wires and the accc breaker has orange load wires.)

note: a lot of the older models had the start relay pull starter solenoid power from the accessory breaker. they subsequently found it wasn't a great idea and started pulling that power from the main circuit breaker.

another thing......I don't like a bunch of wires on the battery posts. just battery cables is best. if you want to, you may remove the main circuit breaker wire from the POS battery post and relocate it to the starter stud with the POS battery cable attached. just lift the cable end at the starter, lay the main circuit breaker wire terminal on the post and lay the battery cable on top of it, then tighten with the nut. IF YOU DO THAT, always remove the negative battery cable from the battery before touching the positive battery cable. reconnect the negative battery cable after ALL work is complete.

let me know if that solves your problem.

Steve

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
THANKS Steve, I just found another problem, which is probably the whole problem to begin with. The wire at the connector plug are loose. Thanks for your patients and your time.

glad I could help.

please accept my answer.

thank you,

Steve

Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just made the connections and it works. Thanks again
Steve
Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic