Motorcycle

Motorcycle Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Motorcycle

2008 Honda Foreman TRX500FPE. Electric shift, power

Customer Question
steering. Carburated engine. Original owner...
2008 Honda Foreman TRX500FPE. Electric shift, power steering. Carburated engine. Original owner. 800 miles, 270 hours.
Was riding last week and it was running fine until it sputtered and did. It took a few tries with the electric start to restart. It ran again for about 10 minutes and died again. This time it would not restart. Towed it into my shop. Checked for spark. No spark. Put in a new plug. No spark.
Bought a new coil and installed. No spark. No voltage getting to the coil. Engine turns over fine with the starter. All other electric works fine..lights, gauges, winch etc. Checked all the fuses. All ok. Checked, cleaned grounds and connectors and apllied dielecric grease. None showed signs of corrosion. Borrowed a voltage regulator off an identical bike and tried it. No change. Took off front fenders and pulled ecm and checked connectors and applied dielectric grease. Local Honda shop said its very rare for the ecm to fail..usually its a bad connection or sensor somewhere.
Attempted a stator coil resistance test with my old non digital multi tester. It seemed to test fine but not sure if I was reading the meter correctly.
I live in snow country and need this machine soon for plowing and blowing snow. Any help would be appreciated. Brent
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Motorcycle
10/20/2017
Motorcycle Mechanic: Louie, Technician replied 4 months ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, let's start by checking and reviewing the basics. Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):

• • test for low pulsating voltage between the blue/yellow and white wires from the CKP sensor to the ECM when attempting to start;
  • • and for high pulsating voltage on the black/yellow wire from the ECM to the ignition coil (also when attempting to start);
  • • verify IGN+12V on the black/green wire from the ignition fuse to the ECM; and
  • • on the black/white wire from the Engine STOP Switch to the ECM;
  • • ensure ECM's and all other green wires are tied to a good ground. There would be a common connection point of these green wires. In some instances or even if for test purposes, hardwire a secondary ground line from the battery's - terminal to the:
  • - frame;
  • - engine;
  • - harness' green wires and common tie point.

This is an independent site and members of this online community provide information, repair tips, technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.

Hi and thank you for the reply. Im working on this thing when I have free time in between job and kids. First thing I need to do is get myself a peak voltage tester. I will get back to you later with these results.

I understand and no worry; update when conveniently able.

Also time permitting, consider addressing first the possible loose ground / green wires / hardwiring a secondary ground line.

I did check and clean the grounds on the engine, junction under right rear fender and at battery. Im not sure where all the green wires ground at yet.
Just to be sure on the peak voltage, the tester clamps onto the wires.. does not need to touch bare wire or terminals? And that way I can do the tests you mentioned with everything hooked up/ plugged in? Never used a peak voltage tester before.

If "...tester clamps onto the wires...", then it would be a clamp ammeter.

A peak voltage meter would be just like a regular multi-meter but is more sensitive and more importantly, it measures and holds/displays the highest value of a varying voltage.

Try your "...non digital multi tester..." in its lowest DC or AC voltage range and see if you can test for even a pulsating low voltage between the wires of the CKP sensor.

Louie, Technician