Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

How do you change out headlight bulbs on a 2005, 450 ATV,

How do you change...

How do you change out headlight bulbs on a 2005, 450 ATV, gizz

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?

Where are fuses located, bulbs look burnt out its been 12 years. never been changed. just went out

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '05 motorcycle?

Grizzly, 450, 2005

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes, haven't tried anything. Just looked at the bulbs, and both went out at the same time.

10/18/2017
Eric, Technician

If the headlight bulbs need replaced, then you go to under the front fender just behind the headlights. There is a rubber boot you pull off of the back of the headlight, from there the headlight socket is pushed in and rotated counter clockwise. This will release the socket out of the headlight housing letting you access the bulb. However if both lights went out at the same time you will want to check the fuses underneath the seat to be sure that the fuse isnt blown. If however both lights did blow out at the same time, its possible that the atv may be overcharging. If it comes to this let me know and ill be happy to help. But this information should be able to get you to where you can replace the light bulbs. Any questions let me know. Thank you.

Eric, Technician
Had a bad light bulb and a bad fuse. Will have a new bulb tomorrow afternoon. Thanks for your help.
Light fuse keeps burning out when lights are turned on. What do I check next?

you will want to take a real detailed hard look at the wiring going into those headlight sockets. Alot of times one of the wires will rub against the ground causing a short. Other than that it will be a task of just looking over that harness really well to find any possible shorts to ground between that headlight switch and the headlights themselves, for the short will be contained to that area. also it may be important to do a voltage check to make sure the system isnt overcharging causing the fuse to blow out. This is done with a volt meter testing the battery terminals. WIth the atv running, it should not be putting out over 15 volts.

I'll do that this wknd, thanks again

no problem, thank you.