Motorcycle

Motorcycle Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Motorcycle

Polaris Ranger 700, 2008 model. We've changed the fuel pump,

Polaris Ranger 700, 2008...

Polaris Ranger 700, 2008 model. We've changed the fuel pump, throttle sensor, wiring, etc. It still has a rough idle, not sure what else we can do. It showing these codes, 46, 25 and 21

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you certain it's the fuel pressure sensor that's in need of attention? What about the fuel rail? Have you checked it yet?

Has 40 psi of fuel pressure, cleaned and checked the fuel rail, injectors.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?

Mechanic friend who is a mechanic by trade, he works on everything and usually can fix it

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I'm wondering if the muffler may be stopped up ?

10/18/2017
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.
Initially and even if just to eliminate as a suspect, have you re-checked the ground system?

This is an independent site and members of this online community provide information, repair tips, technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.

all the wiring has been checked twice, connections, grounds etc. It was running rough till we changed the fuel pump, sensors, cleaned the fuel rail, injectors etc

The codes appears not to be inter-related.

Still, have you measured the battery voltage when idling? ...revving? ...ignition off / on? ...when starting?

voltage has been checked as you mentioned

What were/are the voltage values please?

If I remember correctly they were right at 12

I was expecting readings to vary and not "...right at 12..."; particularly when revved 3000 ~ 4000 RPM where the battery/charging voltage should read 13.0 ~ 14.6 VDC but not to exceed 15.0V.

Idling voltage should be greater than ignition off voltage.

And a bit confused; "... It was running rough till we changed the fuel pump, sensors, cleaned the fuel rail, injectors etc ..." So it is running good now?

its running better but idles high, smells rich when idling. could the muffler be stopped up

Yes, that would be a possibility on the muffler particularly with the spark arrester if the exhaust is stock.

Please check the burn color of the spark plug?

...and verify that there is no air nor vacuum leak.

will do and ill get back to you, I do know the plugs were tan /brown color

Yes please when conveniently able.

Louie, Technician
Louie, Technician