Motorcycle

Motorcycle Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Motorcycle

Hard to start ,once running goes fine, lights yes, new

Hard to start ,once...

Hard to start ,once running goes fine

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Lights yes, new battery 210 cca

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your motorcycle?

2011 550 eps efi

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?

New plug, injector cleaner, running on 98

when it dose fire rattles and clunks for 2 sec then runs fine
10/17/2017
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially and to avoid asking you to do something you've already tried, can you please tell me what / any and all troubleshooting / specific steps you've already attempted other than / to address the above.

...fresh fuel?

...fuel pressure?

...consistency of spark?

This is an independent site and members of this online community provide information, repair tips, technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.

fresh fuel, new plug,once its running seems to go fine, new battery seems to have helped, fuel pressure not sure,it only get used on weekends for fishing
engine has done 1600 k, if you slowly push the throttle foward some times you here like a little puff of air not all the time

Appreciate the post back / additional information.

What is the burn color of the old spark plug?

And can you please cautiously check for consistency of spark when attempting to start cold?

Do you have access to a volt/multi-meter?

It would help to measure the idling battery voltage during the "...rattles and clunks for 2 sec..."

its due for a service in 50 hrs
plug is burning fine a white / gray colour, yes i do have a multi meter, bike is not here have to wait till the weekend to check idling battery voltage

Considering the description of "...new battery seems to have helped...", let's check the battery/charging voltage:

• ignition off then on;
  • starting;
  • during the "...rattles and clunks for 2 sec...";
  • then when "...once running goes fine...";
  • and when revving.

Please post back results / observations of the above once tried.

ok will have wait till saturday to do this, have very little service down there will send the results to you on tuesday

Yes please when conveniently able.

Louie, Technician
Morning Louie, sorry forgot to take volt metre with me, bike is starting good started within 10 sec from sitting for a week with no throttle after that starting good, most of the rattle and clunks have gone heaps better, higher rev range good
how quiet are these engines supposed to run, just seems a little rattley in the head depatment to me

Would help if a battery tender can be hooked up, even a wind or solar version.

And it might just need an oil change.

Perhaps valve check/adjustment when "...service in 50 hrs ..." also.

thank you for your service
Louie, Technician