Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

2002 Suzuki GZ 250 died on me while riding. Got my GZ 250…

Customer Question
2002 Suzuki GZ 250...

2002 Suzuki GZ 250 died on me while riding.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '02 Suzuki?

Got my GZ 250 died on me while riding. I get lights with the key, but it wont crank. I have jumped across the clutch switch, kickstand switch, and kill switch, and still nothing! I can jump across the solenoid and it cranks great.I'm stumped!

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?

Nope

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Jumping over all safety switches

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Plenty of battery

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Motorcycle
10/16/2017
Motorcycle Mechanic: Louie, Technician replied 9 months ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.
Initially and when "...jump across the solenoid...", would the engine start/run? ...or just cranks but would not fire?

This is an independent site and members of this online community provide information, repair tips, technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.

Cranks, but not fire

Please confirm spark.

And is a volt/multi-meter available?

Sorry, but:

• Yes, there is spark?
  • Yes, a multi-meter is available?
Multi meter is available

Let's try check and review the basics. Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):

• • check for IGN+12V supplied to the ignitor and ignition coil;
  • • test for pulsating low voltage from the pulser / pickup coil when attempting to start; and
  • • high pulsating voltage to the ignition coil.
No spark to the pug

I understand "...No spark to the pug...".

And as posted above...