Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a 2009 hyosung gv 250 and coming back from a ride…

Hi I have a...

Hi I have a 2009 hyosung gv 250 and coming back from a ride yesterday when the revs started climbing quite high for a while then it started surging, not sure where to start looking, plenty of fuel left. Turned bike off and restarted, revs went to about 6000 then started surging again

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Yes it has, done about 140kms on half a tank, normally does more than that, starts first time but straight to high revs for about 10 secs then starts surging

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 6000 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Have pulled covers and seat off, checked battery, sitting at 13.2 v and climbs to 13.8 when running, was thinking maybe vacuum issue?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That’s the only problem I have had with it

10/16/2017
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.
Initially, carb or EFI?
And to avoid asking you to do something you've already tried, can you please tell me what / any and all troubleshooting / specific steps you've already attempted other than / to address the above.

This is an independent site and members of this online community provide information, repair tips, technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.

Hi Louie, my name is ***** ***** is the efi model 09-10 before digital display, only happened yesterday so all I have done is as stated in my original enquiry

I understand Jim.

Please try and start the GV250. Before it has warmed up, ignition off and remove the spark plugs. Determine if tip color is:

• gray to blackish;
  • brown to whitish;
  • wet with fuel.
Ok just had a look at the plug and it is grayish brown to black on the tip

Least likely that it is a vacuum issue. Still, to confirm, spray water on the throttle body/intake manifold. If there is a vacuum leak, the engine would stall/die.

Check wiring/connectors to sensors including the TPS. A volt/multi-meter would be needed to test the different voltages including pulsating trigger voltage to the yellow/green and yellow/red wires of the injectors.

A more likely possibility would be an injector sticking open. A way to check would be with the use of a mechanic’s stethoscope.

Alternatively and perhaps better, remove the injectors to soak, clean and test even if just to eliminate them as suspects.

Perhaps the video HERE may shed insight.

Hi again,

Is further information/assistance still needed with the GV250?

Louie, Technician