Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

2002 kawasaki meanstreak keeps blowing ignition fuse

10/11/2017
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.
Initially, is a volt/multi-meter available?
And to avoid asking you to do something you've already tried, can you please tell me what / any and all troubleshooting / specific steps you've already attempted other than / to address the above.

This is an independent site and members of this online community provide information, repair tips, technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.

Checked under the seat and ok, disconnected kickstand switch . Before it would take about 5 mins then blow ignition fuse but now blows as soon the ignition is switched on. Changed electronic switch

Have you checked / can you please check the two (2) red/green wires to the ignition coils from the Engine Stop Switch?

...might be rubbing raw to frame / exposed metal?

...try disconnecting from the ignition coils?

Ok, will I have to move the tank?

May not be needed, just check with the multimeter if the red/green wires reads resistance to ground (ignition off or better battery off).

Ok, it's a little dark here and not much light, will check first thing in the morning

I understand and yes please, an update when conveniently able.

Ok, will do

Cheers.

I'm going to check those wires and will let you know what I find

I understand.

I had to move the tank as I could not access properly. Saw some wires that are rubbed through. Will make repairs and let you know result in a few

Nice find;...and yes please on an update.

I think that was it. I fixed wires and not blowing fuse. Test rode and ok, thanks.
One question though, why was it taking a couple mins before it would blow the fuse when problem first started?

Great! Good to hear that the issue has been resolved, congratulations.

The insulation may not have fully rubbed off thus the shorting was only intermittent at the start but frequent = fuse takes time to blow. When the wire has heated up and/or insulation melted / easily rubbed off, then the shorting was more immediate = fuse blows immediately.

Louie, Technician
Ok,thanks again