Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a 2010 Kawasaki Vulcan 900. It was running fine. I…

Customer Question
I have a 2010...

I have a 2010 Kawasaki Vulcan 900. It was running fine. I parked it and came back about a month later. Turns over but will not start. I drained the fuel tank and put fresh gas in. Fuel pump runs and shuts off when key first turned on. I cycled the fuel pump several times. The sound changes if the throttle is advanced during cranking. Help would be appreciated.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?

Original, bike only has 7000 miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 900 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Trying myself, but motorcycles are new to me. Just changing the gas.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Don't know what else to tell the mechanic

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Motorcycle
10/4/2017
Motorcycle Mechanic: Louie, Technician replied 10 months ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.
Initially, have you checked for sparks?

...tried starting with the side stand folded up?

...and clutch lever pulled in?
And to avoid asking you to do something you've already tried, can you please tell me what / any and all troubleshooting / specific steps you've already attempted other than / to address the above.

This is an independent site and members of this online community provide information, repair tips, technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.

kickstand up, clutch lever pulled in, no change. I have not checked for spark. I have done nothing else.

Yes please; cautiously perform a spark test. Please click HERE for insight

Removed front cylinder plug wire. Inserted phillips screwdriver into plug wire. Held it about 1/8 inch from cover. Observed bluish spark.

Bear with me, perhaps you can try with the plugs themselves:

• be able to tell if fuel did wet the plugs;
  • actual fire from both.
accessing back cylinder looks like it is necessary to remove tank.

I understand; at least the front?

what is the plug size sae or metric

5/8" (16.0 mm)

plug out. not fouled. It took so long, it is dry.

The prescribed approach is to check/clean the fuel path all the way to and including the injectors.

Consider / try as a workaround to spray generously the throttle bodies through the airbox couplings. Ensure cleaner spray/fluid reaches the injector tips and allow to sit/soak. The idea is to moisten the tips of the injector to address possible external clogging.

The alternative is to remove the injectors for external cleaning and even if just for test purposes.

Another is to consider measuring the fuel pressure; 44psi.

From what I am reading, this is a throttle body injection system vs direct injection.
I will try this. It is getting dark and I am working outside. How do we pick this up tomorrow?

Do a Ctrl + D to bookmark this page if working on a computer.

Alternatively, click on the links provided in the emails sent by the site.

And yes please; post back with an update when able.