Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a 1998 kawasaki mule 2510. It has suddenly lost most…

Customer Question
I have a 1998...

I have a 1998 kawasaki mule 2510. It has suddenly lost most of its power. idles fine and revs good in neutral. barely moves at all up hill in low or high gear.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Consistent. at first I thought it might be running out of gas but I checked the gas and added more.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '98 motorcycle?

Its a mule 2510

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?

I havent tried anything yet. but I live in the mountains in Costa Rica and have to fix it myself.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Motorcycle
10/4/2017
Motorcycle Mechanic: Louie, Technician replied 10 months ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, Have you checked the burn colors of the spark plug tips?

This is an independent site and members of this online community provide information, repair tips, technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.

no, i have not checked the burn colors of the spark plug tips. The engine starts, idles, and revs fine in neutral.

Yes please; determine the burn color of the spark plug tips even if just to eliminate these as potential suspects.

Additionally, measure the battery / charging voltage:

• ignition off;
  • ignition on;
  • when starting;
  • idling;
  • revving.
my voltmeter doesnt have a decimal so it rounds down. I have measured 11v ignition off, 11v ignition on, 9 volts cranking, 11 volts idle, 12v reving.

And the spark plug's burn colors?