Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

My friend lets me use her 1999 roadking. She told me that…

Customer Question
My friend lets me...

My friend lets me use her 1999 roadking. She told me that sometimes it won't start and you have to use a jumper wire on the starter. There are times when I ride the bike all day and never have a problem with it starting. Then there are other days that you have to use the jumper wire almost every time. What would be the cause of this problem?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

I just walked outside and removed the seat. The terminal connections are clean.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '99 motorcycle?

Its the roadking classic with fuel ijnection

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't tried anything. If it's something that can be changed out, I will probably do it. If it's something in the wiring harness, than I'll probably have a mechanic troubleshoot it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

NO, I

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Motorcycle
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/28/2017
Motorcycle Mechanic: Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 10 months ago
Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic

where are you using a jumper wire on the starter?

are you shorting terminals, or using another vehicle and jumper cables?

please be specific.

Steve

Motorcycle Mechanic: Andre Pilon, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 10 months ago
Andre Pilon
Andre Pilon, Motorcycle Mechanic

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. How old is the battery in the bike? Did you check if the battery connections are tight?

Thanks, Andre.

I'm jumping from where the plug from the starter button plugs into the starter and the positive lug on the starter. I know it's not the switch because I put a multimeter on the same electrical plug and when I push the starter button, I get 12 volts.

you are jumping the solenoid.

that ensures the solenoid and starter motor are good.

you should replace the starter relay.

it's in the fuse block on the left side of the bike, behind the side cover, behind the saddle bag.

let me know if you need ore help.

Steve

Motorcycle Mechanic: Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 9 months ago

let me know if you need more help.

if not, please accept my answer.

thank you,

Steve