Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

2008 Kawasaki Concours 14. I replaced the spark plugs and…

Customer Question
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14...

2008 Kawasaki Concours 14. I replaced the spark plugs and now it wont start. I sprayed starting fluid into the intake and it fires off and runs until the vapor is gone. I'm thinking the injectors arent spraying because I can see down the throttle body to where the intake valves are and I dont see any fuel spray when I crank the motor over.. What tells the injectors to spray their precious fuel?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?

Fuel pump is working. I checked that and it has pressure. Spark plugs are working because when I spray Starting Fluid into the intake, the motor runs smooth until the starting fluid vapors are gone

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '08 motorcycle?

2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 ZG1400

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I'm doing it myself. Ive checked all of the connections that might have come unplugged when I changed the spark plugs.. I changed the plugs one-at-a-time so I wouldnt cross the plugs for the coil paks that are on top of the plugs. Their is no fuel filter according to the service manual.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just want to know what controls the injectors

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Motorcycle
9/28/2017
Motorcycle Mechanic: Louie, Technician replied 7 months ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.
Initially, the injectors are controlled by the ECU when triggered by main/sub-throttle sensors, crankshaft and camshaft sensors among others.

Still, let's try check and review the basics other than fuel, fuel pump, fuel pressure. Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done), check:

• • condition/fittings of connectors and wiring to the different sensors;
  • • sensor voltage on the brown/black wire from the ECU;
  • • and ensure good ground connections, common ground tie-points and all the harness / black/yellow wires joined to these common tie-points;
  • • presence and consistency of IGN+12 to these injectors;
  • • pulsating / switching voltage to ground from the ECU to the injectors when attempting to start/cranking;
  • • clicking sound when the injectors are pulsed;
  • • fuel flow to the injectors.

Even if just for test purposes, hardwire a secondary ground line from the battery's - terminal to the frame, to the engine and to these common grounds / black/yellow tie-points.

This is an independent site and members of this online community provide information, repair tips, technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.

Louie, Technician