Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

2010 yz250f. Has spark on first couple kicks then nothing.

Customer Question
Wait a couple minutes and...
2010 yz250f. Has spark on first couple kicks then nothing. Wait a couple minutes and kick again. Has spark at first then nothing. Dnt see any breaks in wiring and the kill switch is fine too
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Motorcycle
9/27/2017
Motorcycle Mechanic: Louie, Technician replied 10 months ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, let's try check and review the basics. Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done) would be to check (while attempting to start) for consistency of:

• • low pulsating voltage between the white and red wires of the pulse coil;
  • • high pulsating voltage between the brown and green wires of the magneto;
  • • pulsating voltage from the pink wire of the magneto to engine ground;
  • • pulsating voltage between the orange and black wires from the CDI unit to the ignition coil.

Additionally, ensure good common ground connections of the neutral switch, the magneto's black wire to the engine casing.

IF all of the above checks good and yet consistent spark is still an issue, THEN by process of elimination, the "...aftermarket cdi box..." would be highly suspect.

This is an independent site and members of this online community provide information, repair tips, technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.