Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

Ktm 50 Mini adventure. Bought used. Grandson is learning to…

Customer Question
Ktm 50 Mini adventure...

Ktm 50 Mini adventure. Bought used. Grandson is learning to ride. Was running great. Died while he was riding. Can't get it to start back. Getting fire. Seems to be getting fuel. Could smell on plug. Tried a new plug. He is riding slow. Revving the bike up & down a lot. Was always very easy to start.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Joey Mccoy

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?

I've seen a few post on these bikes doing this. None had died while riding. All had been sitting. im about to take top end down, but want to know if there is anything else to try first.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Motorcycle
9/25/2017
Motorcycle Mechanic: Louie, Technician replied 11 months ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.
Initially, have you determine the burn color of the old spark plug tip?

This is an independent site and members of this online community provide information, repair tips, technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.

Plug looked good. Did not look too rich. Little black to dark brown. I just took the exhaust off & it was full of fuel. Took carb off. Made sure float was working. I kicked over with the pipe off & fuel comes out exhaust port

Appreciate the post back.

With a 2-stroke engine and the above described factors/symptoms, then proposed approach;

• change spark plug;
  • clean the bottom of the crankcase;
  • decarbon/clean the exhaust system;
  • check 2-T oil mix.
Did exhaust already. Will empty crankcase

Yes please and would look forward to an update when able.