Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

Was riding and bike shut off, pulled over, first fuse I pull…

Customer Question
Was riding and bike...

Was riding and bike shut off, pulled over, first fuse I pull out was blown, put another one in, started the bike went to pull out blow the fuse again. Now every time I put another fuse in and turn the ignition on and then push the start button it blows again.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do all the fuses have the correct amperage for the circuits they're in?

Not sure how do I check

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your motorcycle?

2008 Electric glide Classic

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just putting the new fuse in, was stranded on the highway, trailered home

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Would like some suggestion on what to check, or look for

Submitted: 12 months ago.Category: Motorcycle
9/24/2017
Motorcycle Mechanic: Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 12 months ago
Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic

check diagnostic codes.

1- Turn Ignition switch to OFF & Run/Stop switch is to Run.

2- Push odometer reset button in & hold.

3- Turn ignition switch to Ignition and release odometer reset button. Background lighting should illuminate, speedometer needle should sweep its full range and indicator lamps (battery, security, low fuel, check engine and cruise) should illuminate. The word “diag” should then appear.

4 - Push the odometer reset button once and you will see the selection menu "PSSPt" with the first P flashing.

5 - Each letter represents an area of the diagnostics module. The module that is flashing is the one you are going to check. To move from one letter (module) to the next, you push the odometer reset button one time. (from P to S to SP to t and back to P, etc.)
P = ECM/ICM (Electronic Control Module [EFI] / Ignition Control Module [Carbureted])
S = TSM/TSSM (Turn Signal/ Turn Signal Security Module)
SP = speedometer
T = tachometer

6 - To get the DTC within an area of diagnostics, push and hold the odometer reset button in for 5 seconds and release. If there are any DTC’s the code will be displayed or the word “none” will appear if there are no DTC’s. Push the odometer reset button again to view additional codes if they exist.

7 - Record the codes.

8 - If DTC’s are not to be cleared, Press and release the odometer reset button. Part number of module will be displayed.
NOTE: To determine if a code is current or historic, clear the displayed code by pushing in and holding the odometer reset button ( longer than 5 seconds) until 'clear' comes up. Release the odometer reset button. Turn OFF the ignition switch. Run your bike and shut it down then recheck the DTC’s again by repeating steps 1 to 9. If the code is current it will reappear.

9 – Press and release the odometer reset button to continue to the next module.

10 – Turn Ignition switch to OFF.

On models not equipped with a tachometer "No Rsp" will appear when the tachometer identifier is selected.

"No Rsp" will also appear if the run/off switch is in the off position when doing this procedure.

let me know what you find.

Steve