Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a Yamaha 650 SECA 1982. I took it from a shed after…

Hi Pearl, I have...

Hi Pearl, I have a Yamaha 650 SECA 1982. I took it from a shed after it had been dormant for a good number of years. Here's what I did:

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 650 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Had the carbs cleaned by a proffessional, cleaned all the jets and checked the float height. Changed the battery, plugs, all fluids and filters. Engine turns wonderfully when it runs. But starting it is a drag... It doesn 't appear to be the timing I am at a loss :(

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you changed a battery before?

No I took the old one out and bought a brand new one. All lights work and starter motor is doing the job. It wants to go but doesn't fully ignite sort of. I have spark on all 4.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No I believe this is all I can think of... I sprayed carb cleaner in the filter box and the engine sputters and wants to come to live but then stops again

9/22/2017
Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic

your engine requires just 3 things to start and run.

- spark

- fuel

- compression

if we assume the the timing wasn't disturbed since it last ran and it has spark, then timed ignition should not be an issue.

having the carbs done is one step in restoring the fuel system. you need to verify you have fuel flowing from the tank to the carbs and that the amount of flow is adequate to support continuous combustion. if you haven't already, you need to clean the fuel tank and replace the old fuel lines. you need to verify proper operation of the petcock. you need to verify the fuel tank vent. start by draining the fuel tank into a suitable container while watching the flow. you should have a good, solid, continuous stream. all remnants of old decomposed fuel must be removed. you also need to remove the petcock and verify the inlet screen is not fouled.

if that doesn't resolve your issue, you should address your loss of compression, because that is all that is left.

Steve

You could be on to something. I have drained the tank but had not cleaned it and there seems to be some stuff floating around (a tiny bit of rust) I will change the fuel line and clean the tank with cider vinegar. However, do you really think this could cause the engine not to start?
Compression is good, carbs are good and petcock works, filter was clean. If you have anything else that might cause this let me know...
Thanks!

spark, fuel, compression.

take your pick.

Steve

Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic