Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

My ds450 2008 went through 2 ecu s in one week no spark why.

Customer Question
My ds450 2008 went...

My ds450 2008 went through 2 ecu s in one week no spark why

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your bike?

The atv only has 10 hours on it i ordered a new ecu ran for a half hour engine light on no spark im pissed there expensive2008 ds450 x

Mechanic's Assistant: Has your vehicle stalled? Has anyone run a diagnostic test to pull the trouble code?

No just baught it

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '08 motorcycle?

When i put the new ecu in it started n ran fine next day samething

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?

New ecu

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Before that the fuel pump then the little relay went swaped them around ran fine

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Motorcycle
9/22/2017
Motorcycle Mechanic: Louie, Technician replied 10 months ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, let's try check and review the basics; the ECU's failing would most likely be indicative of a battery/charging issue and/or overloaded output. Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):

• • re-inspect the battery, its ground lines to the harness, frame & engine, and/or re-check and re-clean the battery cables + terminals, connectors and wiring including);
  • • more importantly, have the battery externally charged; and
  • • then also have the battery LOAD TESTed (even if new/charged and just for the purpose of eliminating it as a suspect);
  • • check that the charging voltage @ ~3000RPM is about 14.5V but not to exceed 15.0V;
  • • cautiously determine if the ignition coil is excessively heating up.

This is an independent site and members of this online community provide information, repair tips, technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.