Motorcycle

Motorcycle Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Motorcycle

I am going to put on a rear tire on my metropolitan Honda.

Hi, I am going to...
Hi, I am going to put on a rear tire on my metropolitan Honda. There is a lug nut and a washer. Does the washer go between the wheel and the nut or between the wheel and the axel.
JA: How old are the tires? And have they been a problem in the past?
Customer: I just had the tire replaced with a new one and I'm trying to remember what order I use to put it back on.
JA: What is the model/year of your Honda?
Customer: I don't know the year exactly. Its at least 10 years old if not older
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes I'm doing it my self. I haven't tried anything yet. I just need to know what order the nut and the washer go on.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yeah do I need to lube anything before I put the tire on?
9/20/2017
TIMOTO
TIMOTO, Motorcycle Mechanic

The wheel goes on first, then the washer and finally the nut. Here is a link to a parts diagram that shows it:

http://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/hon/5053db7af870021c54bda358/rear-wheel

You need to use some type of lubricant on the bead of the tire to make it slide onto the rim easier and seat on the rim when inflating it. A solution of dish soap will work well. If you are asking about any kind of lubricant on the wheel splines then you can use a small amount of grease applied to the splines inside the wheel but do not put any grease on the axle as it will be forced out into the brake drum.

Please leave a positive star rating so that I can get credit for assisting you. After rating you can add a reply at any time if you need more help with this problem.

TIMOTO
TIMOTO, Motorcycle Mechanic
TIMOTO
TIMOTO
TIMOTO, Motorcycle Mechanic