Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

While riding this morning the CEL came on. Bike went into…

Customer Question
While riding this morning...

While riding this morning the CEL came on. Bike went into like limp mode. It would come back normal for a short while then back to limp.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

It will go off and the bike will haul butt like normal...shortly it will come back on. 2005 Yamaha FJR

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '05 motorcycle?

FJR1300

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?

I checked the battery...tested ok. The air filter and plugs are new...dunno what else to do.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I can't think of anything.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Motorcycle
9/20/2017
Motorcycle Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 11 months ago
Pete, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

The fault codes need to be checked to see if any codes are set in the computer.There is most likely at least one code set since this light has come on that will help to locate and repair this issue here.This is the first thing that has to be done here.It is most likely a fuel related fault or a sensor issue causing the limp mode needing corrected.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete