Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

Won't start, no, 2008 star 1300, i believe is the fuel pump,

Customer Question
Won't start Mechanic's Assistant:...

Won't start

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your motorcycle?

2008 star 1300

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?

I believe is the fuel pump, and yes i would like to do it myself

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

How much you charging me?

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Motorcycle
9/17/2017
Motorcycle Mechanic: Louie, Technician replied 9 months ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.
Initially, does the fuel pump prime at ignition turn on?

This is an independent site and members of this online community provide information, repair tips, technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.

can i explain how it all begin?
the cost will be an extra $26?

Yes please; any additional/background information would help.

Sorry but billings & payments concerns including membership/subscription are best addressed by Customer Support.

i was getting ready to get on the freeway when the engine just die. the engine crank but don't start. seem like it is not getting gas. i just try to start the bike but don't hear the pump

Have you tried starting with the side stand folded up? (...and clutch lever pulled in)

that didn't work

Do you have access to a volt/multi-meter?

Let's try check and review the basics. Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done) check for:

• • IGN+12V on the red wire to the fuel pump relay;
  • • then to the red/blue from the same relay;
  • • and to the blue/white wire;
  • • as well as to the blue/red wire.
does the ignition have to be in the on position?

Yes, it would have to be turned on.

i don't have a manual that i can look at to see what you have said in the prior. do you have pictures?

Would have to check for a Service Manual when I got back to my regular workstation. Mobile now and have only a wiring diagram in the phone.

The "IGN+12V on the red wire to the fuel pump relay" is a feed through a diode from the ignition coils' black/red wires.

And the red wire is from the fuel injection system fuse.

are you still there louie

Hi again and just got back.

Were you able to give the above checks a try?

And confirm for the presence of sparks?

i didn't give your check list a try, cause i don't have the manual yet

Could you make use of the Service Manual for the 07 model?

i am still waiting for a manual

I understand.

Perhaps, perhaps the 07 Service Manual HERE may provide reference / insight.

i am looking at the service manual. once i figure out what you mention i will proceed

Yes please; ...and an update when able.

i have gone over the manual and done seem to find the fuel pump relay. can you please tell me what page and number that i would find the relay
Motorcycle Mechanic: Louie, Technician replied 8 months ago

Please see 1-2, item # 11

i have found item# ***** & 13 but not 11

The actual relay would be inside a relay box that also houses the diodes and the starting circuit cut-off relay. Trace the red/blue wire from the fuel pump as it is connected to the fuel pump relay and to the ECU.

Incidentally, an issue with the lean angle sensor can cuse the fuel pump relay not to engage = no fuel pump action.

All those wires are wrap up together, I will have to cut the tape that surrounded the wires. Isn't there any other way?

Isn't there any other way? - test on the pin(s) of the connectors.