Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I cannot access the battery. I make no claim to understand…

I cannot access the...

I cannot access the battery. I make no claim to understand mechanics. I had a Harley sportster and when I needed to charge that battery, it was so easy to find a video and access and charge. boom. However, this Suzuki.... I'm at a loss. I took the battery cover off, the seat off. The battery and the positive is right there. I thought, cool, I'll pull it out so I can reach the negative. Wont come out. I'm at a loss. I don't know how to reach the negative port. Feeling kind of like a dumbass. Asked a few of my guy friends to help, none were able to stop by. I sent photos, all they said was to release the strap.... which I cannot see. I searched in several different ways for videos, nothing.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

Not leaking, it sat for a year,

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Suzuki?

S40 boulevard 2014

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S40 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes Just what I detailed tried to access the battery ports

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No no thank you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You can call or text me at(###) ###-####
9/17/2017
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.
Initially, please confirm that the positive terminal is accessible.

This is an independent site and members of this online community provide information, repair tips, technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it is

Let's try first charging the battery; battery charger to accessible battery's positive terminal. Then use the engine as the ground/- connection.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok battery tender says charging....
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I inadvertently disconnected some rubber hose thing.... not sure what that is. Any insight?

The battery may have "expanded" hence the "...Wont come out..."

Was the "...rubber hose thing..." attached to the battery?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I think so... I actually started this "project" a few weeks ago. I was a little brutish in my approach.

I understand.

That particular hose may just be a drain / vent hose for the battery.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sounds familiar.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm thinking I will bring to get a tune up and hopefully dealer can put all these pieces back together.

That may be more to your advantage considering "...sat for a year..."

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
lol. Yes, clearly that's the next move.
Thanks so much!!!!! At least I can get it started so I can bring it down.

Great! Good to hear that the battery charging issue has been resolved, congratulations.

Glad that the above information served your purpose and if you haven’t done so, please provide a positive rating (3 to 5 stars) at the top of your page.

Louie, Technician
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok. thanks Louie