Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

2005 Hayabusa 31k miles, Very hard to switch into gear from…

Customer Question
2005 Hayabusa 31k miles...

2005 Hayabusa 31k miles , Very hard to switch into gear from 1st 2nd etc , once I shut off the bike i can then switch gears with no issues howver once the biek has started back up the issue starts back . Also once I place in in 1st gear the bike shuts off and when i m not able to switch to 1st gear lets say at a stop light , when im pressing brake lever and ease off brake lever the bikes moves foward even with clutch still engaged , the oil has been changed maybe 4mo agao as well.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?

Brake level is full

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '05 motorcycle?

Suzuki hayabusa 1300

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes and ive not tried anything at this point

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Motorcycle
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/17/2017
Motorcycle Mechanic: EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician replied 11 months ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** I am currently a factory dealer auto mechanic. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

From what you describe it sounds like you need a new clutch. When the clutch is worn the frictions and steels tend to stick together and cause it not release fully. That is why it is creeping when the clutch is in.

Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 3 or more stars will keep the chat open for further follow up questions you may have. Click here for an example of how to rate . Also we can respond in this chat back and forth many times. I may be offline when you respond but I will promptly reply when I return.

Thank you for rating my assistance and for using Just Answer.

I was thinking that also , so the fact that it lurches forward then shuts off once I take it out of neutral into first gear is the clutch also ?

Yes. With the clutch in it should not lurch forward at all. And the drag on the clutch is causing the engine to die when put in gear. Likely if you kept the rpms up it would not die out.

Thank you I will replace my clutch and see what happens

SOunds good. Also, note that after rating this chat it remains open for follow up and future questions on this. THanks.

Hi. Just checking in to see how you are doing and if you have made progress or need more info. If so just respond back. Otherwise please take a quick moment to rate my assistance. Thank you.

Thank you for rating my assistance and for using Just Answer

Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal. Also we can respond in this chat back and forth many times. I may be offline when you respond but I will promptly reply when I return.

I removed the clutch assembly and didn’t notice any warped plates etc. Anything else that may be the issue ? Do you think it may be the hydraulic clutch cable ? I mean I’m getting no play on the clutch lever ..

That is the thing about the hydraulic clutch is that the clutch can be completely shot but the lever feels good because the fluid keeps it tight, unlock a cable. You may not even see warped clutch plates. Usually the cause is the inside plates tend to stick together when the clutch gets older and the frictions get worn. That causes, when you release the clutch only some of the plates are releasing and the others are dragging. Likely fixing the problem would be installing new clutch friction and plates.

The clutch lever isn’t tight at all ,there is no play on it when disengaged .