Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a 2002 K 1200 LTC that my battery maintainer failed…

Customer Question
I have a 2002...

I have a 2002 K 1200 LTC that my battery maintainer failed and the battery went flat. After recharging the battery I now have a problem with the security system not allowing me to start the bike, when clearing the security system it makes its normal single beep and then followed a couple seconds later with an off key second beep. All functions are working except the starter. What am I forgetting to do to restore operation?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded? What is the model of your '02 BMW?

All terminal connections are good. battery is showing a good charge even under load. K 1200LTC

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm 77 miles from the nearest dealer, with a bike hat has over 112,000 miles on it, yes I do most of my own maintenance. I'm employed as a Maintenance Technician in an aluminum extrusion plant.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Motorcycle
9/17/2017
Motorcycle Mechanic: Louie, Technician replied 1 year ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.Initially, let's try check and review the basics. Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):

• • attempt to start with the clutch lever pulled in and the side stand folded up;
  • • re-inspect the battery, its ground lines and/or re-check and re-clean the battery cables + terminals, connectors and wiring;
  • • consider having the battery externally charged;
  • • also have the battery LOAD TESTed (even if new/charged and just for the purpose of eliminating it as a suspect);
  • • use a volt/multi-meter or even a test light to check for the presence of BAT+12V from the battery's + terminal then to all the wires/cables from this terminal - trace/follow/test;
  • • locate the starter relay, start by following the big cable from the + terminal of the battery as it always ends up tied to 1 of the 2 big terminals of the starter relay;
  • • for test purposes, consider jumping the 2 big terminals of the starter relay. Expect a big spark. Starter motor should turn;
  • • if yes, but the starter relay still only clicks when attempting to start, then the starter relay is likely faulty;
  • • if not, then the starter motor and/or battery-cables + wiring would be suspect.

This is an independent site and members of this online community provide information, repair tips, technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Missed the point or should I say the problem "I have a security system lock out, the starter solenoid dosen't actuate! HOW DO I RESET THE SECURITY SYSTEM?

My bad; perhaps misunderstood the "...All functions are working except the starter..."

If have not been done, consider / try to exercise the lock; i.e. set/unset the security system with the FOB multiple times.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Tried that also, before going to internet to try to find solution.

I don't recall the security system as made part of the Service Manual. Still, there would be an Installation Manual for the alarm system.

As I am currently mobile/away from my regular workstation, let me re-open the question to other members of the site by opting out.

Good luck with the alarm.