Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

Deb. I need help. Honda vfr800 2013. Started fine. Changed…

Customer Question
Deb Turner. Hi I...

Deb Turner. Hi I need help. Honda vfr800 2013. Started fine. Changed the clock. Rode it out of the garage and turned it off. started again no problem, but the hazard lights came on. Turned it off, then tried to start it again and wouldn't start. Hazard lights still flashing when ignition is on. Jump started it and hazard lights still on. Won't start again without a jump. Help

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, can you tell me which light it is? And does it blink first, then stay on steady?

Hazard lights

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '13 Honda?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Have tried disconnecting the battery and reconnecting. Jump started it but without a jump start it won't start and hazard lights still flashing when it's running

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Motorcycle
Answered in 1 day by:
9/17/2017
Motorcycle Mechanic: Louie, Technician replied 11 months ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.Initially, let's try check and review the basics. Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):

• • re-inspect the battery, its ground lines to the harness, frame & engine, and/or re-check and re-clean the battery cables + terminals, connectors and wiring;
  • • more importantly, have the battery externally charged; and
  • • then also have the battery LOAD TESTed (even if new/charged and just for the purpose of eliminating it as a suspect);
  • • locate the starter relay, start by following the big cable from the + terminal of the battery as it always ends up tied to 1 of the 2 big terminals of the starter relay/solenoid;
  • • jump the 2 big terminals of the starter relay. Expect a big spark. Starter motor should turn;
  • • if yes, but the starter relay still only clicks (or no click) when attempting to start, then the starter relay is likely faulty and/or the circuitry attendant to it;
  • • if not, then the starter motor and/or battery-cables would be the suspect.

All other tests would require the use of a volt/multi-meter.

This is an independent site and members of this online community provide information, repair tips, technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.