gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW Technician, VW FastTrack, VW Academy, VW Certified
12249065

I have a Kymco 250cc scooter it was making out loud

Customer Question

I have a Kymco 250cc scooter it was making out loud squealing noise after riding today. It also has a knocking at low speeds.
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: The squealing noise kust started after driving. The knocking has been going on for a while but has gotten worst. Noises come from under seat.
JA: What is the model/year of your motorcycle?
Customer: 2009 250 cc Kymco scooter
JA: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'll fix it if I can find out whats wrong
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It has over 15,000 miles on it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 month ago.

Have you ever changed the belt, or removed the variator to inspect the rollers? The variator uses weighted rollers that spin outward depending on the speed of the engine (balanced with the load on the transmission, ie your weight and speed) They will start to wear flat spots over time.

I upgraded my scooter (Honda Ruckus) to a Dr Pulley variator and slider weights instead of rollers, they have a much more consistent application and are available for the Kymco as well.

The squealing is likely your belt- as it wears, it rides lower and lower on the variator due to the width of the belt wearing down. After a while, and if you ride a lot at wide open throttle, the belt will start to slip as the engine speed wants to overrun the capability of the belt. This causes glazing of the belt and too smooth of a surface on the variator plate.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Belt slipping makes sense if it was while going down the road but not while just at idol. What else could cause the sqealing at idol? Oh and about the constant knocking at low speeds?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'll research ur answer and check my drive for those changes... I was thinking it might have been something electric...ie. an alarm of some kind. The sqealing has sense stopped, but it has me real curious as to the cause. Remember I said it does it just as I seat on the scooter prior to even putting the key in.

ok- you never said that the squealing was without the engine running. The belt is always there, always turning with the engine running- just not until your centrifugal clutch engages that the wheels turn.